Extra punch for a Kliché Mini

HamishR

I came around to the whole Klon thing by enjoying a Keeley D+M Drive. I have built various Klones for friends but they never impressed me greatly - they're are generally too compressed for me. I really like a punchier OD.

So after adding some low end I discovered that I could get that Klon tone in a punchier form by simply swapping the Ge diodes for 1N4148s. Simple as that. It makes the Klone so much more useful for me. I hope this helps spark some clever mods in others.

Some of the Klon clones and DIYs have a diode switch to select between Ge or Si clipping diodes. With an On-Off-On switch, we can have three diode choices: LEDs always connected (switch in the Off position), Ge or Si diodes switched in parallel with the LEDs.

A good idea. It's funny how in some pedals the choice of diodes seems to be critical and in others as long as there are diodes it's fine.

You could also make it (Ge | no clipping diodes | Si), which is what the Soul Food meat and 3 mod does. Ge clips sooner than Si, so the sound is more compressed. No clipping diodes is a more open sound which only clips when you overdrive the op amp.

The middle position could select no diodes or one diode for the ultimate asymmetry. I did the latter on my RAT clone and the single diode setting has the least compression and the most even-order harmonics. See the schematic for how I wired my RAT. R26 is crucial to getting the asymmetric clipping to work right. It keeps the average voltage on the negative side of C12 centered at ground.
clipping diodes.PNG

Last edited:
Back