Fuzz face input pot/transformer

harmaes

I’m building a number of fuzz faces with the Sunflower and Sandspur PCBs and the Solaris and Epsilon AION PCBs. Also the Tactical Fuzz.

The clean control of the Sunflower/Sandspur is 50k (I make it externally controllable) and the AION ones use B 250k pots. Both seem to work fine but I was wondering what the advantage is of the 250k? It comes closer to the volume pot value on (single coil based) guitars so I assume it has more range/cleanup?

Three of the PCBs use the TL019-R transformer which works quite nicely IMO. Having it on a switch makes comparing the direct loading of the guitar vs the transformer easy. I do notice some decrease in cleaning up with the transformer but it makes the fuzz face sound a little fatter IMO. I must still place these ones behind another pedal to see how it really works in a chain.
The Tactical fuzz doesn’t clean up as well but I need to receive the right NPN germaniums to give a final verdict. @Robert provided me with the original HFE values around 120 and 180 with low leakage so I ordered the right ones with similar HFE.

Last edited:
Back