Help Wanted Making a Tayda General Parts List

This was the reason I dumped the formula for doing the text abstraction and switched to AppScript. There's a lot more flexibility there at the cost of speed. It doesn't look like you can see the AppScript in the copy I shared, but it does stuff like this:

Code:
/* Format Cap values to match Xuf, Xpf, Xn, XnY, X.Yuf */
function formatCapValue(value) {
  if (value.map) {
    return value.map(formatCapValue);
  } else {
    // These are all okay values
    if (value.match(/^(\d+u[fF]|\d+p[fF]|\d+n\d*|\d+.\d+u[fF])$/)) {
      return value;
    } else {
      // Xu -> Xuf or Xp -> Xpf
      if (value.endsWith("u") || value.endsWith("p")) {
        return value + "F";
      }
      let match = value.match(/(\d+)\.(\d+)n[fF]?/);
      if (match) {
        return match[1] + "n" + match[2];
      }
      // Xnf -> Xn
      if (value.match(/\d+n[fF]$/)) {
        return value.slice(0, -1);
      }
      // XuY -> X.Yuf
      match = value.match(/(\d+)u(\d+)/);
      if (match) {
        return match[1] + "." + match[2] + "uF"
      }
      // We can't figure it out
      throw("Could not format value: " + value);
    }
  }
}

There are formatting functions for each of the major part types and which one is used depends on which type of part is selected. There's probably ways to be more efficient by I was in proof of concept mode at the time, and I've been too busy to revisit it.

Robert
This is what I was looking for, but if it slows down the page, I'll try to implement a formula first.
It should be possible.
If it has a P, it searches for pf, if it has u, it searches for uf, for pots, if it has a, b or c, it searches through the appropriate type. I think it's doable anyways...

I should be able to take care of MLCC tomorrow.
I've updated the film caps. I've only put Wima and Kemet so far and the voltages are in the higher range, so not sure if they match the existing parts from mouser. Only way around it is to include voltage in cap part unfortunately. Height and body width might have to be added when pcb spacing is tight.

Copying a search result list from Tayda's website produces a fairly legible list in excel, but it's not possible to sort the data in a useable way so it's still copying 1 by 1 each piece of data (I spent all day trying to sort through a pasted Tayda search list without any success).

I've updated the film caps. I've only put Wima and Kemet so far and the voltages are in the higher range, so not sure if they match the existing parts from mouser. Only way around it is to include voltage in cap part unfortunately. Height and body width might have to be added when pcb spacing is tight.

Copying a search result list from Tayda's website produces a fairly legible list in excel, but it's not possible to sort the data in a useable way so it's still copying 1 by 1 each piece of data (I spent all day trying to sort through a pasted Tayda search list without any success).
I did the MLCC and some hardware odds and ends yesterday. I think the electros will be the toughest to complete.

I think just having the info in one place for people will be handy, even if your'e not able to get something working. I'm sure one day someone will see it and be able to use it or do something with it.

As it is I don't do full BOMs because I tend to have most parts on hand already and I find it quicker to get the SKU from the Google sheet and plug it in to the quick order form along with the quantity rather than searching the site and adding it to a cart. I'm sure others will be able to find ways to use it as well.

Update: I've finished some of the Film Caps.
First, question for experienced builders: How does the size of those 100v Wima caps fit on pedalPCB boards?
I'm not sure of the quality of the non-wima/kemet brand parts. Anyone know if they're ok or if it's worth sourcing elsewhere?

I will do the ICs soon, a bit busy with work this week.

@peccary appreciate all the help . I think it's already coming together enough to easily make a spreadsheet with a big order without having to search individually on tayda.com for each part!

@flemming Thanks as well, I used your list whenever I saw part coherence and used your idea for having both stores available on one sheet. Maybe small bear to come soon, but I find their parts inventory and organizing to be much more volatile/unorganized.
The other thing I was thinking of doing to make the sheet work better is to put the parts list in the same doc as the order form. The best thing I think would still be to keep each build on a separate doc to keep the page from lagging too much.

@finebyfine After looking at your programming skills, I'm jealous because it actually would be much easier to do this as an 'order form' web page with a drop down list that goes through an SQL DB (or that shows realtime result searches through keywords) and generate a TXT order page based on that.

I've got an idea, but I'm not exactly a wizard with Excel/Google sheets.

Any of you know if you can have a master list in one tab and have other tabs that pull in specific rows from that list based on the value in one cell?
Like, if you have 10K resistor in a row on the master list, could you have another tab 'Tubescreamer' that automatically pulls in that row and they always match/dynamically update?

I've got an idea, but I'm not exactly a wizard with Excel/Google sheets.

Any of you know if you can have a master list in one tab and have other tabs that pull in specific rows from that list based on the value in one cell?
Like, if you have 10K resistor in a row on the master list, could you have another tab 'Tubescreamer' that automatically pulls in that row and they always match/dynamically update?
Sure, you can use cell values from one worksheet to another. What would trigger the update?

Edit: Oh I think I see...if you import a Tube Screamer worksheet it would populate part numbers and counts for a shopping list?

Update: I've finished some of the Film Caps.
First, question for experienced builders: How does the size of those 100v Wima caps fit on pedalPCB boards?
I'm not sure of the quality of the non-wima/kemet brand parts. Anyone know if they're ok or if it's worth sourcing elsewhere?
Typically, the electrolytic is 2mm spacing (but you can stretch that) and the film caps are 5mm spacing.

Sure, you can use cell values from one worksheet to another. What would trigger the update?

Edit: Oh I think I see...if you import a Tube Screamer worksheet it would populate part numbers and counts for a shopping list?
Yes, something like that. Keeping a master list of the parts helps a lot because part numbers, links and lots of stuff can change over time and it's a lot easier to update the master part list than all the individual build part lists.

I put in a lot of effort making shared Mouser BOMs a few years ago and now they're mostly useless because some stuff goes out of stock or gets discontinued, etc.

I see..yes that would not be difficult. Maybe a sheet (tab) for each component type?

Okay, I did an example tonight...It's an Excel spreadsheet. If you enter a part into the column, it will fill in the correct part number from the respective sheet. I made up part numbers and just did a few. I didn't add autocomplete but it can be done. I think I can share it...it just uses the LOOKUP() function and references the appropriate columns. If not, I can email it.

Man, that's pretty slick! I put in a part number and sure enough it populated the corresponding number.
Now I'm wondering if there's a way to do this across workbooks. If the part numbers could be extracted from the PDFs in CSV or something, they could be pasted into another spreadsheet that draws the info from the master list. That'd keep the tabs from getting out of control on the master.

If you can get me some samples, I'll take a look. Delimited files are pretty straightforward. PDFs have come a long way, and form data to Excel libraries are available for Perl, and likely other languages.

Just an FYI for those using the sheet. I removed all instances of MLCC caps from Tayda, I didn't realize they don't use the C0G type that is preferred for Pedals. So no use for the parts list. I've also only used Kemet and Wima film Caps, and the values available are limited, so for the most part, I will continue to get caps from mouser if possible.

Back