How To Install A Muffin Crumb

Ive thought about populating a few MCs with sockets and trimmers as well as some other smaller classics(green ringer, FF, etc) and just playing though the breadboard with them.
I love this idea. You could make breadboarding pedals as simple as building things out of legos. A lot of these circuits use common building blocks. If there were several of the elemental building blocks that could just be plugged into a breadboard, it could really help people learn and understand how to build and modify effects.

@chris.knudson Well, I’m glad my flailing, clueless posts are at least starting conversations! Haha… You’ve all been quite patient and helpful. Eager to see where the “Baron Samedi pcb” project heads!

I love sockets, female headers, screw terminals, etc. Just asked about JST connectors in another thread and I want to try those as well - it’s funny, I mentioned legos too!

Wowee, @Feral Feline you weren’t kiddin about sockets - those boards are chock full of em! They look nice. Tayda ones are fine, but I’m wondering if there’s anything better.

Yeah, I'm into socketing entire boards and utility PCBs.

It can seriously cut down on time spent breadboarding, if you're exploring one circuit in depth.
The very first pedal was a Bazz Fuss on a perf board. Then I started reading about how different capacitors can filter out different frequencies, so I built another one with different cap values. It sounded completely different, so then I built a third one with with everything socketed so I could experiment with different parts -- not just the caps. I haven't done that since, but I still socket components that I want to experiment with, especially diodes, transistors and ICs.

The very first pedal was a Bazz Fuss on a perf board. Then I started reading about how different capacitors can filter out different frequencies, so I built another one with different cap values. It sounded completely different, so then I built a third one with with everything socketed so I could experiment with different parts -- not just the caps. I haven't done that since, but I still socket components that I want to experiment with, especially diodes, transistors and ICs.
Been a little absent on the board this week. Started a new job on Monday and have been doing training videos all week. My brain matter isn't as elastic as it once was and I've been pretty numb by 3pm each day. Anyhow.
Somewhere down my "want to do" list is laying out a few classics like effectslayouts has with the fuzz face
1707594920861.jpeg
A lot of these are so simple to breadboard but for me and my goldfish brain, seeing the schematic speeds up the process tremendously.
This is especially true if I'm say, breadboarding before bead on Tuesday night and get back to it Saturday morning.
Plus, if one was doing something like you/FF are doing with the Baron, being able to grab a prepopulated socketed board and quickly modify values and connect to more circuitry, that would be awesome. No need to even dig up a schematic
It would also be a great educational tool for newer buildiers learning to read schematics and starting to experiment.
I don't know if a bazz fuss is big enough to bother with but securely a FF, TB and a BT. Add in a few different filter/eq boards like I believe guitar PCB has and now you can bend and blend, mix and match.

I'm sure some will disagree and say this is a waste but for me, it's just another way to get to Detroit. I think that I was forced to breadboard so much in school that it kind of ruined it for me. That and the goldfish brain thing. Though, one thing I've started doing when BBing is printing the schematic when available and using color pencils to denote the jumper wire color used at each connection. That does help me get my bearing when I return to it 4 days later

I don't know if a bazz fuss is big enough to bother with
That's why it was my first pedal -- super simple, easy to breadboard, easy to tack up on a piece of perf board. I had just gotten my soldering station and wanted to fire up, and this was the simplest thing I could find to build.

Been a little absent on the board this week. Started a new job on Monday and have been doing training videos all week. My brain matter isn't as elastic as it once was and I've been pretty numb by 3pm each day. Anyhow.
Somewhere down my "want to do" list is laying out a few classics like effectslayouts has with the fuzz face
View attachment 68134
A lot of these are so simple to breadboard but for me and my goldfish brain, seeing the schematic speeds up the process tremendously.
This is especially true if I'm say, breadboarding before bead on Tuesday night and get back to it Saturday morning.
Plus, if one was doing something like you/FF are doing with the Baron, being able to grab a prepopulated socketed board and quickly modify values and connect to more circuitry, that would be awesome. No need to even dig up a schematic
It would also be a great educational tool for newer buildiers learning to read schematics and starting to experiment.
I don't know if a bazz fuss is big enough to bother with but securely a FF, TB and a BT. Add in a few different filter/eq boards like I believe guitar PCB has and now you can bend and blend, mix and match.

I'm sure some will disagree and say this is a waste but for me, it's just another way to get to Detroit. I think that I was forced to breadboard so much in school that it kind of ruined it for me. That and the goldfish brain thing. Though, one thing I've started doing when BBing is printing the schematic when available and using color pencils to denote the jumper wire color used at each connection. That does help me get my bearing when I return to it 4 days later
I love this idea. Seeing the schematic on the PCB demystifies the circuit and makes it so you can see which parts are doing what in the circuit. I can read a schematic and understand what's happening, and I can look at a PCB and understand the signal path. However, I can't look at a schematic and instantly translate it to what's happening on the PCB. I have to map it out in my mind, which takes work for me.

I like that "'60s Classic Fuzz" board from ELS, though I haven't bought it yet.

The first schematic-on-board I saw was the Muff, which I really wanted to get, and IIRC the guy that does the Muff also has a Rat board...

Found it again.
Here 'tis:

Blue+Muff.JPG

Blue+PCB.JPG

PS: Congrats and good luck with the new job @jwin615.

Last edited:
@jwin615 and @Feral Feline Those PCBs with the signal flow are very, very cool. Honestly, I'm still figuring out what's what in schematics and this REALLY helps. Thanks for posting these.

See, THIS is what I need for the Baron Samedi - then I could kind of figure out what would need to be added to whatever Bosstone board I worked from/added to. I have a Trumpeter (Mini-Bone) on deck, and I'm trying to figure out what it would need to get close to a Baron. It already has the voltage starve, so it'd need the extra preamp section and transistor bias on Q3, sounds like. I'm not too concerned about the Tone control, and the Trumpeter has a little tweakability in that regard anyways. It wouldn't be a 1:1 Baron, but I bet it would sound incredible.

Seems like simply adding the Muffin Crumb in Preamp mode and replacing one of its resistors with a Bias pot would do the trick - I'm still fuzzy on the details, though. Certain things are clicking from what's been shared here, but I think a complete plan would help me look at both schematics and see what goes into morphing one into another. Fingers crossed!

Not for nothing, but - after this much engagement with the "Baron Samedi 5-knob PPCB Request", hopefully @Robert is on the case! That'd solve everything! Ha...

Back