How to set up the Daisy in Arduino?

Badaptos

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to set up the environment to program the daisy seed in Arduino. I just keep getting errors that certain files are missing even though I copy them into the folder with the program. Can anyone give a somewhat detailed description of what folders/files to download or any other IDE and how to set up the folders for it?

If you're trying to use a library (assuming that's the missing files in your description, above), you can go to Sketch->Include Library.

I had tested my setup with a 3rd party library, not the Electrosmith provided stuff. I would expect to do the same either way.

I went through the entire getting started, and I can get the example programs from Daisy running straight through Arduino. However, when I try to implement the LED example that is stickied on top, I get "daisy_petal.h: No such file or directory". I've tried starting it with the libDaisy and the daisyExamples but cant seem to put the program in the correct folder.
Basically I'm not sure how to add the library, or how to organize/place the files and main folder to include the needed library. I just tried to include the DaisyDuino library but it still gives the same result.
Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I'm just not sure how to start programming with the terrarium but I can get the Daisy examples running.

1605039684727.png

Apparently I installed DaisyDuino ... I'll get back to this at some point. Anyway, this is the idea of how your libraries would be organized.

Basically I'm not sure how to add the library, or how to organize/place the files and main folder to include the needed library. I just tried to include the DaisyDuino library but it still gives the same result.
Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I'm just not sure how to start programming with the terrarium but I can get the Daisy examples running.

Adding these files in the Arduino IDE amounts to using an #include directive:

#include <myinclude.h>
#include <blah.h>

When you select Sketch->include library this is what's going on. It will search the path under Arduino/libraries and pick up the include files when you build the program and load it onto the Seed.

That's exactly what I'm using right now, however the example posted uses "#include daisy_petal.h" which the DaisyDuino does not have however. You said you got the LED example working with the arduino IDE?

wtfman.PNG

I ended up trying the other "Getting started" and got all the way through up until the actual uploading of the code. My 'make' command worked and created a build file, this happens when I try the "make program-dfu" command. Any ideas?

Looks like dfu-util isn’t installed, or not in the expected location.
Also, programs written to build from the command-line won’t work under Arduino. This is not a Daisy limitation, it’s true for all boards supported in Arduino.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I'm using right now, however the example posted uses "#include daisy_petal.h" which the DaisyDuino does not have however. You said you got the LED example working with the arduino IDE?
No, I got some other code that I wrote for an Adafruit ItsyBitsy to work along with a 3rd party library that had some potentially concerning dependencies (which I managed to not encounter).

If it can't find "daisy_petal.h", a quick scan of Electosmith's repo suggests that you're missing libDaisy
You mentioned libDaisy earlier, but it's not clear what you did with it.

Well good news! After following this exactly (https://github.com/electro-smith/DaisyWiki/wiki/1.-Setting-Up-Your-Development-Environment) and reinstalling everything, I was able to get the blink program up and running! Bad news is for some reason the cloned git directory cannot be accessed after I close the command prompt. Nothing I google helps, any ideas why? Every time I open the command prompt, I have to redo the git clone step other wise it says directory not found. Am I just dumb and that's how it works? Does it download everytime or is it something else? Much thanks for your guys' replies btw, this is incredibly helpful!

When you "git clone", you're copying the current state of a git repository to a directory on your local filesystem.

Subsequent synchronization with that repo can be accomplished with "git pull" from the command line while inside that same directory.
In other words, to get the latest updates to the code, you "git pull" (do so with the understanding that you may have to adjust your code as the Daisy code undergoes development).

I'm not sure of the context that you're seeing directory "not found", though. This seems odd.

The short of it is that you don't have to clone every time: the directory in question should be found.

Anyway, don't fret (unless you're jamming, of course).
I've been using git for years and I still have to RTFM whenever I have to do something that I don't do routinely.

1605101794322.png

Back