How to wire a rotary diode selector.

neiltheseal

Hi, I'm going to build a DOD 250 (distortion 250 from Pedal PCB) and I want to add a rotary diode switch in there so I can try different flavours of distortion. The problem Is I'm not sure how I would do this. Can anybody help?

I assume I could use something like a 1P8T Rotary Switch. The part of the diodes connected to ground are connected to the pole and the different legs of the rotar switch are connected to different configurations of diodes? Am I on the right track?

SECOND QUESTION

Is grey spec generally considered the best version of this? I have a modern MXR Distortion + and want something that sounds different to this (I know they are pretty similar).
https://www.pedalpcb.com/product/di...Rcnqu4mmW0bqlHxWh0-WG4LalB5m18kmC9lYWsB_aP8-g

How many options do you want? There's 4-clipping-options 2P4T-PCBs available from GuitarPCB, MAS Effects, Moonn, Fuzz Dog, RullyWow (or was it Delyk? or both?) and others.

You could always solder the diodes right to a switch, with many more options.

Here's a DIY *perfboard option from David (Storyboardist) at Effects Layouts:
*[EDIT: not perfboard, but you could use the same layout on perfboard (might need a jumperwire or two)]

Rotary%2BClipping%2BSwitch.png

Diode_Clipping_Rotary_Switch.jpg
Diagram from?

Switch info from BEAVIS

Doesn't have to be a rotary, either. Options abound online.

For example, you could adapt Fred "Revolution Deux" Briggs' Timmy clipping to your 250:

Timmy_clippers2.gif

Point A would be from the signal-path of your 250, and Point B would be to ground.
Don't forget to add a Bicolour LED to the first pole of the 2PDT Footswitch so you know which bank of diodes you're accessing.

Last edited:

Plenty of other companies doing similar too.

Thanks so much this is really helpful.

I’m not sure exactly how many options I’d like, I really just want the freedom to play around and try different things. Thisshoujd give me what i need

Plenty of other companies doing similar too.
This is what made me realise It is possible.

I wanted to make one, mostly as shipping to Australia is pretty steep for this stuff.

Thanks so much this is really helpful.

I’m not sure exactly how many options I’d like, I really just want the freedom to play around and try different things. Thisshoujd give me what i need
If you want experiment to see what you like you might want to try breadboarding this circuit. It’s one of the easier ones and I wrote a tutorial how to build it if you need some help

If you want experiment to see what you like you might want to try breadboarding this circuit. It’s one of the easier ones and I wrote a tutorial how to build it if you need some help

Nice I’ll have a look at the tutorial.

I have tried breadboarding this with the beavis audio schematic but can never get it to work.

Hopefully following your tutorial helps me to breadboard this

This is what made me realise It is possible.

I wanted to make one, mostly as shipping to Australia is pretty steep for this stuff.

Sorry I didn't have time earlier to put in links with my list of PCB suppliers offering clipping boards, but internet searches should've turned 'm up.

Paul used to offer GuitarPCB stuff...

https://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/shop/

... dangnabbit! I don't see any GPCB stuff there anymore. 😼

MusikDing offers GPCB PCBs and ...

Geeze, throw me a frick'n' bone here... They offer everything BUT the Roto-Tone...

... ahhh, here's the Roto-Tone PCB, under "KITS" :rolleyes:; maybe it's under "KITS" just because it includes the rotary-switch?

Sorry I didn't have time earlier to put in links with my list of PCB suppliers offering clipping boards, but internet searches should've turned 'm up.

Paul used to offer GuitarPCB stuff...

https://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/shop/

... dangnabbit! I don't see any GPCB stuff there anymore. 😼

MusikDing offers GPCB PCBs and ...

Geeze, throw me a frick'n' bone here... They offer everything BUT the Roto-Tone...

... ahhh, here's the Roto-Tone PCB, under "KITS" :rolleyes:; maybe it's under "KITS" just because it includes the rotary-switch?
Thanks! That's awesome. I might have to buy a couple

How many options do you want? There's 4-clipping-options 2P4T-PCBs available from GuitarPCB, MAS Effects, Moonn, Fuzz Dog, RullyWow (or was it Delyk? or both?) and others.

You could always solder the diodes right to a switch, with many more options.

Here's a DIY *perfboard option from David (Storyboardist) at Effects Layouts:
*[EDIT: not perfboard, but you could use the same layout on perfboard (might need a jumperwire or two)]
This information was really helpful by the way.

I put my DOD250 together using the grey specs that Aion FX posted. I really like it although I socketed nearly everything so I can try different versions. Will test out different diode selections when I get a chance.

Do you know what might be good diode options to try?

I spent the day testing different diode sets and configurations in a tube screamer I had. Removed the LEDs and attached wires to a rotary switch and got it all working thanks to this information.

I learned that it's really hard to tell the difference, although I slightly prefer asymmetrical (2 one direction and one the other) to symmetrical and I like the sound of blue LEDs better than red. I ended up changing this out in the tube screamer and am pretty happy with the changes.

I even made an LED selector on a breadboard with my rotary switch so that my 3 year old daughter could turn the knob and turn on different colour LEDs. She loved that and played with it for about 30 mins.

Green LEDs for some extra headroom on bass

Schottky for Ge-like Fv w/o the temperature problems.

Schottky with MOSFET
Thanks again.

I have some 2n7000 mosfet and BAT41 Schottky in my cart ready for my next order. These should work fine for this purpose right?

I also just bought 100 x D18 germanium diodes from Bulgaria. I'm sure I won't be able to tell the difference between these and my fake Chinese 1n34a diodes but I'm going to replace the diodes in all of m pedals just to be sure :).

Probably an obvious question, but if I use one of these I should be able to get 12 clipping options right?

I might buy one on the weekend and try some clipping options on perf board or breadboard.

I've tried a 3pole 12 rotary switch, but that only allows 4 options (but combinations if I connect the poles).

Back