Looks like I have some sorting to do.......

MichaelW

WOOT! Got a boatload of Russian Ge PNP's from Lithuania (eBay).

Debating revisiting some of my completed fuzz builds to see if I can fine tune them some more.

Or..........find some new fuzzes to build.....:)

Open to suggestions!

Oh also, happy to share if anyone needs a couple of Ge's for their build. Just ping me....

IMG_3087.JPG IMG_3088.JPG
IMG_3089.JPG

How much was a box of those doo-hickeys?
$13 plus $8 shipping I think.

Here's the link.
And the other.

Initial random spot testing is a bit disappointing. Most of the M42's are super low Hfe. (like 14-15 range).

The M26's are a bit better in the 30's - 40's.

I'll need to spend some time and systematically check them and leakage.

IMO, and I'll likely get libeled for this, the only germanium fuzz worth having is the buzzaround/dizzy tone. It's not scooped nor mid forward, bass or treble heavy and the gain texture and amount is not an all or nothing affair like most fuzz. That's what I would build if it were me.
Agreed!
Although I feel the buzzaround gets pretty scooped, and I use it as a metal distortion.
My experiences with Those type of transistor are that they a pretty low HFE but also very low leakage. I use the sub 30 hfe as diodes or in darlingtons, and the 30-60hfe ones for fuzz factories and Dizzy Tones. The Buzzaround will still fuzz with that range of hfe, but it really wants 80-100hfe on q1 and q2 and a leakier ~150hfe for q3. Then it really shines and gates properly.

For Ge pedals (I've built at least), I would say the trio of Fuzz Face, Fuschia Fuzz, and Buzzaround are the ones I always keep on or near the pedal board for low, mid, and high gain applications respectively. I have been moving away from high gain in my personal preference though.

For PNP, I have good results with:
  • MP21A & P28: 50-100 hfe, low leakage (<.1)
  • GT402B: 50-150hfe, higher leakage (.1-.3)
  • 2N1309: 100-200hfe, wide range of leakage (.05-.3)
These are the mean from what I received, so YMMV.

IMO, and I'll likely get libeled for this, the only germanium fuzz worth having is the buzzaround/dizzy tone. It's not scooped nor mid forward, bass or treble heavy and the gain texture and amount is not an all or nothing affair like most fuzz. That's what I would build if it were me.

20DFDFDD-51CE-4BBA-A632-5E9FF776ADB4.jpeg

2 things:

1.) People know I love Si fuzz

2.) Dizzy Elk is on my list

Last edited:
For Ge pedals (I've built at least), I would say the trio of Fuzz Face, Fuschia Fuzz, and Buzzaround are the ones I always keep on or near the pedal board for low, mid, and high gain applications respectively. I have been moving away from high gain in my personal preference though.

For PNP, I have good results with:
  • MP21A & P28: 50-100 hfe, low leakage (<.1)
  • GT402B: 50-150hfe, higher leakage (.1-.3)
  • 2N1309: 100-200hfe, wide range of leakage (.05-.3)
These are the mean from what I received, so YMMV.
I'll definitely be hitting you up for some Ge consultation once I figure out what I actually have in this pile:)

Looks like the Buzzaround/Gnat is going to have to be on my list. I keep seeing it mentioned by everyone. Now I gotta know what it sounds like! (Plus I am very susceptible to both peer pressure and power of suggestion by association.....(if @thewintersoldier and @Betty Wont says it's good then it MUST be kick!)

I may need to roll the dice again on eBay and see If I can get some higher gain transistors.

There are others who are much better with Ge knowledge, I just know what I have experienced.

I build the Buzzaround on recommendation, now I have another 3 on the way for a Dizzy Elk and builds for friends.

Well I ordered the Gnat (Buzzaround) and the SandSpur (SunFace BC108), along with a Mercurial Boost. Looking forward to them!
I feel like we've been on the same pedal building rampage path over the past couple weeks. We've been building or will be building a lot of the same pedals.

I heard from a secret inside source (Tom Cruise) that a bunch of the pedalpcb enablers get paid millions more than YouTube influencers. They're extremely skilled at enabling. Don't tell anyone I told you this.

In some circuits I have used Russian Ge trannies the hfe seems almost irrelevant. And I have had excellent results with most of the Russian MP20 (PNP) transistors I have used. I seem to have scored a bunch with very low leakage and a fairly wide range of hfe - but they mostly sound the same. I wish the MP38s (NPN) I have were as consistent. The MP20s have all been very usable. I just plug 'em in and they work. I can't say that for the western Ge transistors I've bought (for much higher $$).

Back