Maestro Fuzztain

lrgaraujo

Are you guys (especially Chuck, since I had originally posted it on the Boneyard) familiar with the Maestro Fuzztain? It uses the N-channel mosfets of the 4007 in parallel as a variable resistor in the compressor part, if I understand it correctly.

Do you think there is a very solid reason for the the mosfets to be used in parallel or could we, for example, use one of them for compression and two for the dirty stage?

1668634402254.png

You can certainly use one N-ch MOSFET for gain control and the others for dirty gain stages. I suspect that Maestro used all three N-ch devices because a) they were there, b) putting them in parallel lowers the current in each one which reduces the distortion. Note how they biased the CD4007 GND pins at 1/2 Vcc. That will makes using the other MOSFETs for gain stages challenging, but not impossible. The peak detector circuit is interesting. I think this is the first time I've seen a common-base amplifier in a pedal. Very clever.

Nice, Chuck, thanks for the input! I hadn't noticed the source pins at 4V, if I was to use only one of them (say the one with source on pin 7) as gain control, would it be possible to connect pins 9 and 4 to 0V?

No. According to the datasheet, none of the IC pins should be allowed to go more negative than pin 7 or bad things happen. Remember I said it would be challenging? The gain stage(s) will all operate between +4V and +8V. Not a big deal since the inputs and outputs of each gain stage would be AC coupled. The Fuzztain has a buffer (IC4B) that provides a solid +4V reference which would serve as the negative rail for the gain stages.

Back