Maleficent Mids switch position

giovanni

Just built this and I’m working on graphics. It sounds to me that when the switch is in the up position, the filter is narrower, but I wanted to double check that I’m hearing this correctly before I label it. Can anybody confirm this?
Thank you!

I recorded a very short demo with my phone, hopefully the difference between the two switch positions comes through:

A very subtle difference can be heard between the two positions. If I recall, I found that at much higher volumes, it was more noticeable.
Or maybe with a fuzz in front, and at higher volumes..?.?
Good luck.

Alright after some more clever testing I got my answer. Posting here in case others need to figure this out. I put an overdrive in front of the Maleficent Mids and tested the switch in the two positions. The overdrive makes it a lot more obvious which frequency is being boosted/cut and what the Q is. The up position is the narrow Q filter, more nasal and almost like a cocked wah in some settings (the resonance is not as pronounced as in a wah though). The down position is more slack and broad, as expected.

Cutting mids can lead to some mid-scooped metal tone with a distortion in front. Pushing mids brings you in TS and even Klon territory (without the clean blend of course). With a clean sound, the pedal can “fix” a Strat sound, giving it more mid bite (less “hollow” sounding if that makes any sense).

Anyways, working on graphics now, will post a build report next year.

Back