MMBFJ201

djmiyta

So I wanted to know if anyone can tell me how much easier it is to fry a SMT being hand soldered to a board compared to soldering thru hole components. Smaller part I figure can take less heat but how much? are chances good for an inexperienced SMT solderer but experienced regular soldering?

Reactions: fig
My sum total experience of soldering SMD is one SMD transistor in my low tide build, but following the sage advice posted around here (place solder on one pad, solder that one leg in place, then solder the rest.) even though I swore that screwed up and left the iron on way too long, maybe 5-8seconds, the pedal works so I guess they can take a little heat, but as always the shortest time possible is always good practice.

My sum total experience of soldering SMD is one SMD transistor in my low tide build, but following the sage advice posted around here (place solder on one pad, solder that one leg in place, then solder the rest.) even though I swore that screwed up and left the iron on way too long, maybe 5-8seconds, the pedal works so I guess they can take a little heat, but as always the shortest time possible is always good practice.
Thank you very much that’s what I needed to hear

I've soldered nearly 100 SMD JFETs and haven't killed one yet, so I wouldn't worry about it.

SMD JFETs are probably a bit more temperature sensitive than through-hole versions, but only because they lack the heat-sinking that the soldered leads provide. On the other hand, the small heat mass of the SMD legs & PCB pad means you'll need less heat (and solder) to create a good joint. Usually the solder melts & flows onto the pad almost instantly, so my recommendation is to keep the heat short & use less solder than you think. Remember, there is no through-hole part of the pad for the solder to wick into, so "what you see is what you get" in terms of a smooth, glossy top-side joint.

• Love
I've soldered nearly 100 SMD JFETs and haven't killed one yet, so I wouldn't worry about it.

SMD JFETs are probably a bit more temperature sensitive than through-hole versions, but only because they lack the heat-sinking that the soldered leads provide. On the other hand, the small heat mass of the SMD legs & PCB pad means you'll need less heat (and solder) to create a good joint. Usually the solder melts & flows onto the pad almost instantly, so my recommendation is to keep the heat short & use less solder than you think. Remember, there is no through-hole part of the pad for the solder to wick into, so "what you see is what you get" in terms of a smooth, glossy top-side joint.
Thank you very much I got about 75 more to do and now a bit more confident to do so So if I didn’t fry one then I must’ve put in a wrong value somewhere on my Pal800 since the Jfet bias up but I get no distortion thought maybe ……::….

Back