Modifications to the Bluesbreaker, King of tone, Morning Glory. any info would be great.

Loxton

Hi all, I’ve been playing with the BB circuits( Bluesbreaker, King of tone, Morning Glory) . I like all of them and have been designing a Perf board with multiple options for each circuit's differences.
However I have a few questions as I’ve been playing with the ‘Black Eye’??, mosfet/BS170 boost at the end of the circuit. The same as the Life pedal Boost.

Now I understand the morning glory has a boost circuit at the end using a Jfet.
Question 1. Is it silly or wrong in any way to use a mosfet boost instead of a Jfet boost? IS there any reason not to use a mosfet boost?
Any extra info on this would be great as I’m having fun learning.

Question 2. Can I come directly from the BB circuit into the 'Life pedal's' boost circuit? Removing the BB's volume pot and the extra 1M pulldown resistor (R10)? It seems to be working perfectly on the breadboard.

TC8qYoVdcNDQ1qSDLJwEODKvF1vM45zr1geNsLew4H8jzh9nnqodaKL02-Zd2J5ss82sHrTlgW69KeypBfI3O32LNQRcwlw3yWnZW7W--RYxVS61ahrF32FnBd1KiO-H5oxwXUUmyae1IDJ_1LgyoIM

Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 18-31-00 PedalPCB Build Guide - Parentheses.pdf.png

Question 3. Why do similar circuits use Vref for the Filtering??( I hope that’s the correct terminology). And some use earth. I hope that makes sense?
For example King of tone’s/Morning Glory C4 heads to Vref, whereas the Bluesbreakers C4 head to earth.

Thank you very much in advance.

This doesn’t really speak to your question, I just wanted to share because I went down a huge BluesBreaker rabbit hole over the last year. If you haven’t yet you have to try out the Pro-10 Blue side literally the best BB in my opinion, I have thought about bread boarding a dual version of this because the clean is amazing and the drive is amazing to the point that I’ve built four of these now but want two in one box. Any way give it a shot if you haven’t already it’s even better than the morning glory which is very good as well.

The mosfet vs jfet really just come down to flavor. I feel like mosfet boosts have a different low/low-mid response than Jfet boosts. Try them both since you are bread board able.

Here are some ideas for a few mods, reply #19 :

Just ask if you need more details.

Last edited:
I second the vote for the Protein Blue. Using an IC for the extra gain stage at the end can actually require fewer components. It's also potentially a bit quieter than a Mosfet stage I believe. But use whatever you like!

A while ago I went through the process of designing my own ideal version of a Bluesbreaker, based on the Protein Blue. My version concentrated on the front end, reducing the amount of low-end before clipping to make for clearer bass strings (a personal preference based on playing style). Once I got the circuit sounding how I wanted I experimented with using the Morning Glory style gain stage at the end and managed to get the pedal to sound very similar to my Protein Blue version. I like the PB version better because it uses fewer parts and sounds killer.

Back