Mojo or no mojo (Ge transistors)

Synchrony Pedalworks

I am having a moment of possible germanium insanity. I have the Marigold fuzz PCB. I love the sound of Tonebender, so achieving a quality pedal is crucial to my mental well being.

Smallbear/synth cube has a great sale that ends tomorrow. 😬 They have the spec OC140 transistor. They also have a BC107. I was going to substitute a 2N3904 for the BC107. I have a BC109 transistor, so no substitute is needed. I bought a few random Ge transistors and was going to audition them. However, this sale makes me think I should get the spec BC107 and OC140. My current Ge transistors are the following: 2N169 (report hFe 72), AC127 (reported hFe 50), 2N1308 (reported hFe 80). I haven’t been able to measure the hFe myself, but the hFE is based on the website.

What would you all recommend? Get the spec transistors (admittedly, the transistors are expensive) or go with what I have?

Cheers!

so achieving a quality pedal is crucial to my mental well being.

Socket them, buy the Small Bear set and use the ones you like better. Otherwise, you’ll hate yourself for not knowing. Check your inbox…that should take the sting out.

Back