My Abider hums with my favourite power supply

HamishR

This is weird... I had built an Abider (Dude) previously and liked it. Recently I rebuilt my pedalboard and used a One Spot Pro CS6 which is great because it is low profile, fits under my Pedaltrain Nano with few mods and has been whisper quiet with all of my pedals - until now! Seriously, compared to my previous power supplies - Voodoo Labs ISO5, various others... it's been very quiet.

So I was really surprised when I plugged my Abider in and it hummed fairly loudly. I assumed there was something wrong with the pedal, so pulled various bits off to see what was wrong. In the end I just built another one (with a few diode mods) as I had the board. Plugged it in and there's that hum again. Tried a different power outlet - still hums. Tried a new DC cable - still hums. Used an old Ibanez power supply for just that pedal - hum goes away. None of my other pedals do this. I have three other pedals inline - a Korg tuner, my home-made Tim, and a Source Audio Collider. I often put a new pedal in front of the pedalboard to test it and out of dozens the Abider is the only one I've had an issue with. And now it's with two of the same pedal - I didn't reuse any parts either. And it still hums even if I go guitar > Abider > amp, no other pedals inline.

Any ideas why this is happening? Does my Abider just not get on with this power supply?

Last edited:
This is weird... I had built an Abider (Dude) previously and liked it. Recently I rebuilt my pedalboard and used a One Spot Pro CS6 which is great because it is low profile, fits under my Pedaltrain Nano with few mods and has been whisper quiet with all of my pedals - until now! Seriously, compared to my previous power supplies - Voodoo Labs ISO5, various others... it's been very quiet.

So I was really surprised when I plugged my Abider in and it hummed fairly loudly. I assumed there was something wrong with the pedal, so pulled various bits off to see what was wrong. In the end I just built another one (with a few diode mods) as I had the board. Plugged it in and there's that hum again. Tried a different power outlet - still hums. Tried a new DC cable - still hums. Used an old Ibanez power supply for just that pedal - hum goes away. None of my other pedals do this. I have three other pedals inline - a Korg tuner, my home-made Tim, and a Source Audio Collider. I often put a new pedal in front of the pedalboard to test it and out of dozens the Abider is the only one I've had an issue with. And now it's with two of the same pedal - I didn't reuse any parts either.

Any ideas why this is happening?
I run into dc noise from time to time with certain combinations of pedals on my one spot Cs6 as well. Usually the fix is putting the noisy pedal on its own power line from the one spot and swapping the daisy chained pedals around.

I have no daisy chained pedals. I only have 3-4 so each one has its own outlet. I thought the Source Audio pedal may have been a culprit but even when I disconnected all of the other pedals from the audio path the Abider still hummed while being powered by the One Spot.

I have no daisy chained pedals. I only have 3-4 so each one has its own outlet. I thought the Source Audio pedal may have been a culprit but even when I disconnected all of the other pedals from the audio path the Abider still hummed while being powered by the One Spot.
That is weird. Does that Ibanez adaptor you have use a different voltage? Makes no sense that the hum goes away with that but not the one spot.

Nope, they're both 9V adaptors. The Ibanez is one I've kept for years because it's an old made in Japan unit, ie well-built!

It really is strange.

So I was really surprised when I plugged my Abider in and it hummed fairly loudly. I assumed there was something wrong with the pedal, so pulled various bits off to see what was wrong. In the end I just built another one (with a few diode mods) as I had the board. Plugged it in and there's that hum again. Tried a different power outlet - still hums. Tried a new DC cable - still hums. Used an old Ibanez power supply for just that pedal - hum goes away. None of my other pedals do this. I have three other pedals inline - a Korg tuner, my home-made Tim, and a Source Audio Collider. I often put a new pedal in front of the pedalboard to test it and out of dozens the Abider is the only one I've had an issue with. And now it's with two of the same pedal - I didn't reuse any parts either. And it still hums even if I go guitar > Abider > amp, no other pedals inline.

Any ideas why this is happening? Does my Abider just not get on with this power supply?
You could try increasing C100 - 47uf to 100uf to see if it's not filtering enough, if there is a drop put the biggest that will fit????????

You could try increasing C100 - 47uf to 100uf to see if it's not filtering enough, if there is a drop put the biggest that will fit????????

I’d try to replace the input diode (1n5817) with a 100r resistor and add a 100uf in parallel with the existing 47u, if possible.
Or just replace the wire from your dc jack to the + pad (1n5817) with a 100r and see if its better

Back