NSL-19M51 ROHA noncompliant/contains lead?

Hi all!

I am working on a build that calls for some NSL-19M51 photoresistors. Apparently these are not ROHS compliant and contain lead.

Can somebody explain what this actually means in terms of health? Is the lead somewhere inside the encapsulation where I won’t be touching/interacting with it?

Thanks!

Hi all!

I am working on a build that calls for some NSL-19M51 photoresistors. Apparently these are not ROHS compliant and contain lead.

Can somebody explain what this actually means in terms of health? Is the lead somewhere inside the encapsulation where I won’t be touching/interacting with it?

Thanks!
It may be used to tin the leads, however I’d likely think it’s the cadmium that makes them non-RoHS compliant

Hi all!

Thanks!
Humans can't absorb lead transdermally. Good practice to always was hands after (and before)soldering though. And don't eat whilst soldering.

Humans can't absorb lead transdermally. Good practice to always was hands after (and before)soldering though. And don't eat whilst soldering.
Agreed! I also take the extra step of wearing nitrile gloves when I use the solder paste. Not only for “safety” reasons, but because of the fact that it’s the same as anti-seize in that you look like the tin woodsman from the wizard of oz after you use it… stuff ends up everywhere!

There is likely very little health effects from the exposure from these sources (unless you lick the leads). A good rule of thumb is to wash your hands after handling these components. So long as you exercise reasonable precautions, you aren't likely to experience any ill effects from theses components. The biggest impact is that many countries have placed restrictions on the use of these components, which may limit your ability to sell devices containing lead commercially.

Back