Parentheses Fuzz Capacitor C21

tsname

Hi all -- I ordered all my parts via the list, but didn't realize that C21 is a non-polarized capacitor. Is it possible to use a polarized electrolytic cap here? What does everyone else use in this case? Tanatalum, polypropylene, ceramic? Thanks for the help!

I may have a spare 470nF film cap, need to root around.

So, following the schematic, it looks like the positive leg of the 1uF cap will go to the middle leg of the transistor. In case I run into something like this in the future or can't find a 470nF cap, does that mean the negative leg is "in" and the positive leg is "out" with respect to the circuit?

Last but not least (sorry, I'm a novice with this stuff); how does the 470nF cap affect the circuit? Why 470nF and not some other value?

No, negative is not automatically "in." You have to either analyze the circuit or measure the voltage at both sides of the capacitor to know which way to insert a polarized capacitor.

As far as capacitor value, again, I analyzed the circuit and determined that reducing C21 by 50% will make little or no audible difference. The other option is try it and listen for yourself. Sometimes a different cap value will sound better to you. For the most part, commercial pedal builders use what they have. If it passes a listening test in their shop, they go into production.

Back
Top Bottom