Pot question, not that kind of Pot...

Dan0h

So I have spent the last day googling this question and even though I found a ton of info I can not find what I’m looking for. Hopefully someone can enlighten me.

***I have the correct pots on the way and will try them out, but I still want to have a better understanding.

I breadboarded a fuzz factory. I only had A100k pots laying around so I used them instead of the B5 and B10k pots. I think the outcome sounds amazing, the volume and gain pots work as expected but the other three have very tiny zones of change (which I also expected) but my question is: does using such a higher value pot have an effect on the sound quality? I noticed there is no extreme treble which is reported on a lot of fuzz factorys. I also noticed the sound is very beefy in the bass response which sounds great. Just trying to learn, don’t roast my ignorance. 🤓

I "think" higher value = higher range of resistance between lugs 1 & 3. So when adjusting in tandem, it's possible to find subtle tones and variations you can't with stock values (but not necessarily).

EDIT: at the other end of the spectrum, "I think" you can eliminate pots that you never adjust. Just set it where you love it and measure between lug 2 and (1 or 3) to get the resistance at the current wiper setting, and replace the pot with a resistor at pads 1 & 3.

the main thing is; are YOU happy with how it sounds?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom