Reeves Supa J - Transistors and adding a bias trimmer?

mzy12

Hello!

I recently purchased a Fuzz Dog PCB, a clone of the Reeves Supa J fuzz - itself a silicon based take on the Tone Bender Mk II/Marshall Supa Fuzz. But I repeat myself :p

Has anyone here got any info on what value hfe I should be looking at on these? The build docs don't specify what to look for in this regard. It just mentions the transistors: 2N2222A for Q1 (which I have SMD versions of) and a BC108 and BC108C for Q2 and Q3 respectively (which surely there has to be cheaper, equally performant alternatives to).

Also, should I add a bias trim pot to Q2 and/or Q3 like you would in a typical Tone Bender Mk II build? What collector voltages should I be looking for?

Thanks for any help :)

If you message Lee (email, or Facebook— direct message or in the fb group) he should be able to tell you what to shoot for. That said, it’s a pretty simple circuit so I’d recommend breadboarding it, or docketing the transistors in the PCB and trying out a bunch of combinations to see what you like

If you message Lee (email, or Facebook— direct message or in the fb group) he should be able to tell you what to shoot for. That said, it’s a pretty simple circuit so I’d recommend breadboarding it, or docketing the transistors in the PCB and trying out a bunch of combinations to see what you like
Fantastically simple idea - thank you 😂

Back