Sanguine has too much sub bass! Anyone else experience this?

TucsonSean

So, I have finished by triple pedal build (check the Triple Pedal build log showing my Sanguine, Tyrian, and Malachite all in one enclosure ) and really love the pedal. I use all three running into my HX Stomp XL . They all sound great with the exception of this one issue with the Sanguine. When playing palm mutes, the sub-bass generated causes an audible wub wubbing (sounds like the bottoming out of my speaker). Funny thing is it also happens when I run directly into our PA. I do not have the output level anywhere near maximum (about 60%) and even when I reduced the output volume of the pedal, it still happens. I tried lowering the bass control to around 9 o'clock and that seemed to help but my sound became noticeably thin. Ultimately I believed it to be due the 4.7uF cap (C12 shown below) that is between IC1.2 and IC2.1. I have since reduced this cap value to 0.47uF and it seems to be happening less frequently though I may reduce it even further to maybe 0.1uf or even 0.068uF. My question is has anyone else experienced this?

-Sean

1631661526218.png

What about running a HPF with your rig?

Night and day difference with my upright through a Hartke-somethin'-other backline — bad room-boom flubby-wubba without HPF overpowering everything in the mix but with no definition — activated HPF, cleaned everything up and had deep rich bass tone-chocolate supporting all the other instruments.

I've got HPF in my Radial ToneBone, but was using my FDeck HPF-Pre III that night. Schematic available from the designer and vero layout to be found online.

Back