Simple Jfet Buffer SMD Version "In-a-Box" Looking for Some Tips...

Caldo71

Hey Folks,

So I bought a few Simple Jfet Buffer SMD version PCBs, and I wanted to mess around with putting one into the tiniest possible Hammond enclosure and making just a basic little utility pedal for use in troubleshooting or wherever it's needed in someones signal chain.

This represents a couple firsts for me, so I wanted to ask for some tips from you guys before I jump in:
  1. This is the very first SMD application of a transistor I've ever done, so I wanted to know what I need to worry about in terms of not absolutely frying it. I've always heard how notoriously sensitive transistors are to this kind of destruction, and obviously with non-SMD transistors, one can socket 'em or put an alligator clip heat sink after the solder pad to keep this from happening. But this SMD J201 is f$%ing TINY, and I don't see how you could protect it in that way. Is there a specific "safe" temperature I should dial my soldering rig back to instead? Or anything else I can do to help mitigate the danger? It'll be the very last thing I solder on, but other than that...let me know.

2. If I'm wiring the Simple Jfet up as a little standalone pedal in this fashion, can I run it off of 9V BATTERY power, for better portability? Or is there any issue with it drawing more amps than a 9V battery can provide or any other impediment to my doing it that way?
That's it for now...thanks in advance for any insights.

I tend to do SMD transistors first, they’re the easiest and lowest height.

No change in temp, just tin the pads on the PCB and then (using tweezers) solder the single leg. I don’t add solder, just press the leg onto the pad and let the existing solder take hold. Then the component is in place and I can do the other legs the same way.

I tend to do SMD transistors first, they’re the easiest and lowest height.

No change in temp, just tin the pads on the PCB and then (using tweezers) solder the single leg. I don’t add solder, just press the leg onto the pad and let the existing solder take hold. Then the component is in place and I can do the other legs the same way.
Roger that...thank you!

If you must use batteries, spend the money to get rechargeables and a charger. A 9V battery can supply WAY more current than 99% of pedals will need, but at some point you will forget to unplug it and after a few days... another dead battery goes to the recycling center.

Back