Swiss Army Fuzz: Universal Tone Bender MKII/Fuzz Face Board

I haven't got any experience with Ge, really, 'cause when I hear silicon on bass, it triggers me in the right way.

Looking forward to hearing this next build!

Another one in the books Gang!

This time. Germanium Fuzz Face using the same GE 2N169 units. Here is a shot showing how I prep the LED, switch and power jack connections:

index.php

Here is the external shot and the finished interior:

index.php

index.php

I had to tweak the Tonebender MK II today. At full volume, it was getting a little farty and I wanted this to be a Rhythm cruncher as well as lead tone.

I dropped the emitter cap from 4.7 uf to 2.2 uf and the treble bleed cap on the input from 0.01 uf to 0.0082 uf.

Then shit got screwy because I also needed to give myself more range on the Q1c trimpot and when I removed the fixed resistor for R1c, I lifted the pad connecting it to the trimpot! I was able to jump the lead over to the trim but I think I better call this one good for now!

Opened this baby up today and surprisingly did not have to change much.

I had originally thought I went with a 1 uf/10 uf input cap/emitter cap combo.

Turns out it was 1 uf/22 uf.

Since I was just trying to round off a touch more woof, I went with a 0.82 uf input cap.

Plugged it in today and it did the trick! Not a huge difference but noticeably less woof at full Fuzz and Pre-gain settings.

Back