Taming Treble in Pickups Mod

music6000

This is a trial & error way to tame treble in a pickup.
In my Telecaster with Seymour Little 59's with split coils, I love the Neck pickup, Bridge pickup not so much unless I roll the tone control back 50% but that effects the Neck Pickup.
I saw a simple way to tame it after watching a video a couple of years ago where he placed a piece of aluminium on top of the pickup of a Strat Bridge pickup.
On the Seymour Little 59, the Plastic top clips over the screws so I removed it & super glued a strip of aluminium foil to the underside & tried it
It was a very slight improvement so i stuck 2 more strips for a total of 3 & that did the trick!
Here is the Video that inspired it:

Man, I could listen to an Australian accent all day. Treble Dusters is a great name for that product/mod.

I've started modding my traditional pickup arrangement Tele's (e.g., Tele bridge pickup) by have the neck pickup out of the tone stack.
Meaning the tone control only affects the bridge pickup.

I never use the tone control on a Tele neck pickup. Really the only application that makes sense for me is to play jazz on a Tele neck which sounds really good with the tone rolled off for that. But I don't play jazz sooooo.......

This way I can have the tone control "pre-rolled off" to a good bridge sound and be able to switch between the pickups without also futzing about the tone control

It's an easy one wire mod.

Well, actually two wire mode:
1) Cut one wire (from Vol lug to tone lug)
2) Move one wire (switch output for bridge pickup directly to the tone input lug.)

It doesn't matter how you have the tone cap wired to ground. It works as in the image below and also works if you do vintage wiring with the tone cap running from the output of the tone lug to grounded lug on volume pot.

This simple mod has been a game changer for me on my Tele's. My biggest problem is remembering which guitars I've done the mod to and which I haven't hahahaha

Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 1.06.10 AM.png

Back