Testing 2P4T Rotary Switch with a multimeter

Crash102

I've tried to google this and cant find anything. So I assume, Either its so basic no one needs to look it up or its rare enough that no one has felt the need to make a guide. That being said, I've seen various comments about these rotary switches being bad when ordered from other sources and i just want to test them prior to soldering. I assume its similar to testing a 3PDT, but i'm not quite sure where to touch the multimeter leads when doing so. I'd love if someone could chime in or even send me a link that i can read.

If we call the two posts in the center A and B, and we call the pins on the outside 1-8. Then A will contact 1,2,3,4 and B will contact 5,6,7,8 as you rotate the switch. It will be obvious when you start fiddling with it. I may have the numbering wrong, but if you rotate all the way to the left, you should see a connection between A-1 and B-5. Then rotate 1 click to A-2 and B-6, etc.

If we call the two posts in the center A and B, and we call the pins on the outside 1-8. Then A will contact 1,2,3,4 and B will contact 5,6,7,8 as you rotate the switch. It will be obvious when you start fiddling with it. I may have the numbering wrong, but if you rotate all the way to the left, you should see a connection between A-1 and B-5. Then rotate 1 click to A-2 and B-6, etc.
Thank you

Back