This Week on the Breadboard: The Guitar PCB Beano Bundle

Chuck D. Bones

Circuit Wizard
I pick up some GPCB Nostalgia Tone boards over the summer and have been breadboarding them. The Beano Bundle consists of a modified RangeMaster and a BluesBreaker. I breadboarded this (more-or-less) in its stock configuration. The only things I changed from the build docs was a C1K for HEAT and different transistor in the RangeMaster and different diodes (FD100 + 1N4003) in the BluesBreaker. You can find the schematics on the Guitar PCB website, so I won't repost them here. B1K also works well for HEAT. The various transistors I tried for Q1 are arrayed at the lower right (104NU71, MП38A, 2N2221, 2N222A, MPS6530, BC109C). They all worked well and did not require any biasing* changes. I ended up with a 2N1308 (HFE = 134).

* one could fiddle R4 to adjust the bias to taste. Because of their higher leakage & lower Vbe, the Ge transistors ran hotter (higher collector current). This lowers the voltage on Q1-C which produced more headroom for the resistor values shown. Higher HFE produced higher gain, but there was only a few dB difference between the transistors listed above.

Some great tones happen with the knobs set for just a touch of distortion. Cranking things up ain't bad either. Every knob does something useful. For the moment, I do not have the ORDER or BYPASS switches installed.

Knobs (L-R): VOL - TONE - GAIN - BOOST - RANGE - HEAT
Beano breadboard 06.jpg

Good question!
Most of the time, the "This Week on the Breadboard" project ends up being built on a production board or Vero. Sometimes, not very often, the circuit doesn't excite me that much and I disassemble the breadboard and move on. I keep records of the breadboards (here and on my HD) in case I decide to resurrect one of them. I learn something from each breadboard and that knowledge comes in handy for subsequent circuits.

I should add that I have a few goals with this exercise.
  • See how the circuit performs before I commit to soldering parts
  • See if there is something I want to change
  • Explore in detail of how the circuit works
  • Share the knowledge with the rest of you
And besides, breadboarding is FUN!

Last edited:
Here it is with the Bypass & Order switches installed. The order switch is in the middle and points the side that comes first (BluesBreaker, in this photo). The ORDER switch really does turn this into a completely different pedal. The RangeMaster circuit is capable of a much higher output than the BluesBreaker. With the RangeMaster first, it can be used as a gain boost or treble boost. With the RangeMaster last, it can be used as a volume boost. Depending on the setting of the BB's VOLUME knob and the RM's HEAT knob, the boost can be clean or dirty. The ORDER & BYPASS switch wiring is a bit of a rat's nest. Took a couple of tries to get it right. When the RangeMaster is last, the BOOST knob becomes the VOLUME knob. It's a bit touchy as a B10K, so I might try an A10K. Lotta fun, very versatile and highly recommended.

Beano breadboard 08.jpg

Back