Using Basic Relay Bypass with Aion and MBP boards

ADAOCE

The multi effect box I’m building has a mixture of PPCB, Aion, and Madbean pedals in it. I want to use the basic relay bypass board from PPCB for all of them. Is the BRB board compatible with these other boards?

If I want to toggle the led I can go DC+ to CLR to led to SW pad and then when the pcb is engaged the GND pad should complete that circuit?

The Aion boards (two maelstroms) look pretty straight forward the only thing is that the polarity protection diode and led/clr are on the breakout board Aion supplies so those will have to be added in (hence my previous question).

The madbean boards (slow loris and kompromat) have a few more connections. Mainly the J1 and J2 pads on the pcbs. It looks like they simply pass through to the bottom of the board so they can go to the switch. My thinking with those connections is I can leave the top pads disconnected and basically only run the pcb in/out from the BRB to the in/out pads on the pcbs. Maybe I’m overthinking this because all the BRB does is switch the pcb in/out into and out of the main signal flow.

TL;DR: anyone ever use a PPCB basic relay bypass board with Aion or Madbean boards?

It's possible, though Aion has a tendency of adding a few components from the power supply to the footswitch board.

In truth these can be omitted, but you'll lose reverse polarity protection and a little extra power supply filtering. It really depends on the pedal though: for instance their Klon type would need some serious reengineering.

The Important part is just figuring out where the inputs, outputs, and LED connections are on each circuit board, as well as LED polarity and if you need to add/remove a CLR for the LED.

The Important connections to the effect PCB are the input, output, +9vdc, and GND connections. Without one of those, the circuit will not function.

For the footswitch, you'll need connections for input jack (or from previous switch), to effect in, to effect out, output jack (or to next switch), +9VDC and GND. Possibly another one or two for the LED depending on the arrangement.

*Edit* apologies, I think I thought I read through your post before I started writing a response. But I think I also just wanted to hear myself type. More specifics. Lemmie see...

Last edited:
It's possible, though Aion has a tendency of adding a few components from the power supply to the footswitch board.

In truth these can be omitted, but you'll lose reverse polarity protection and a little extra power supply filtering. It really depends on the pedal though: for instance their Klon type would need some serious reengineering.

The Important part is just figuring out where the inputs, outputs, and LED connections are on each circuit board, as well as LED polarity and if you need to add/remove a CLR for the LED.

The Important connections to the effect PCB are the input, output, +9vdc, and GND connections. Without one of those, the circuit will not function.

For the footswitch, you'll need connections for input jack (or from previous switch), to effect in, to effect out, output jack (or to next switch), +9VDC and GND. Possibly another one or two for the LED depending on the arrangement.
Thanks for the reply. I hear what you’re saying about Aions bypass boards and from what I see for the Maelstrom, the only components on the bypass board are a diode and a resistor presumably for reverse polarity protection but I’m going to add that to the input to my build since everything shares power.

I think I’ll draw up a couple things and get some feedback from you guys. Might just take the plunge and buy the relay boards it’s not like I won’t use them for something else

Just took a look at the malestrom: looks like all you'd need is to hardwire an LED. basically, 9VDC->LED ANODE->LED CATHODE->CLR>SW terminal. That CLR could go on either side of the LED though, doesn't really matter.

The 100nF cap could go directly across the + and GND connections on the board, potentially squeezed in there with the hookup wires. The polarity protection diode & uhhh... 100R low pass RC filter? could be soldered in line, heat shrinked, and wired to the 9v+ connection on the board. That would cover all the components on the Aion switch board.

I'll take a look at the madbean in a bit.

Just took a look at the malestrom: looks like all you'd need is to hardwire an LED. basically, 9VDC->LED ANODE->LED CATHODE->CLR>SW terminal. That CLR could go on either side of the LED though, doesn't really matter.

The 100nF cap could go directly across the + and GND connections on the board, potentially squeezed in there with the hookup wires. The polarity protection diode & uhhh... 100R low pass RC filter? could be soldered in line, heat shrinked, and wired to the 9v+ connection on the board. That would cover all the components on the Aion switch board.

I'll take a look at the madbean in a bit.
Thanks so much man. I’m glad my thinking was correct on that one.

The madbean ones my thinking is to connect the “L” pad to the “SW” pad and then just use the onboard LED +\- pads

Madbean - just by looking at the kompromat so far...

Looks like you're correct on those J1/J2 jacks. You could just leave those empty and just connect to the IN/OUT solder pads on the relay board: they're only provided as a convenience for top-mounted jacks: they only really do this to minimize wire legnth inside the enclosure. Since you gotta run the signal from one BRB to the next, you're better off just omitting those connections and running inputs and outputs directly from relay board to relay board.

The LED may be wired per madbean, just connect the L pad to the SW pad. The CLR is integrated into the board, that SW pad will complete the path to ground when the relay is active.

Something that comes to mind....be mindful of your ground connections when you wire this thing up. You don't want want to make multiple parallel paths to ground, else you'll get the noise that ensues. Your LED connections will work out just fine I believe, but you don't want to run a ground between each circuit board AND the power supply. Don't make a circular path: a daisy chain and/or a star configuration will keep ground loops at bay.

Madbean - just by looking at the kompromat so far...

Looks like you're correct on those J1/J2 jacks. You could just leave those empty and just connect to the IN/OUT solder pads on the relay board: they're only provided as a convenience for top-mounted jacks: they only really do this to minimize wire legnth inside the enclosure. Since you gotta run the signal from one BRB to the next, you're better off just omitting those connections and running inputs and outputs directly from relay board to relay board.

The LED may be wired per madbean, just connect the L pad to the SW pad. The CLR is integrated into the board, that SW pad will complete the path to ground when the relay is active.

Something that comes to mind....be mindful of your ground connections when you wire this thing up. You don't want want to make multiple parallel paths to ground, else you'll get the noise that ensues. Your LED connections will work out just fine I believe, but you don't want to run a ground between each circuit board AND the power supply. Don't make a circular path: a daisy chain and/or a star configuration will keep ground loops at bay.
Thank you again for taking a look!

On the grounding issue.. that is something that is making me think. My initial stab would be to run power and ground to the first pcb and then chain the ground from that board to the next boards in series so that I just form a line from initial ground point to the end of the pcb chain. I think I should probably keep all the BRBs in that line and not form a separate line from initial ground point to all the BRBs as they will connect to the pcbs when engaged. I also planned to separately ground the enclosure and use isolated neutrik jacks.

This will be something I draw a diagram of for sure and put in a separate topic before I go at it.

Back