Windmill Tone Control Mods

skrattadu

Built the windmill a few months back, sounds good but it's a little dark.
Here's what I want to do:
1. Add more treble
2. Cut more bass
Basically, I want to expand the range of what the pots do by swapping capacitors rather than the pots themselves.
Any ideas?

Thanks!

Although you could tweak the tone stack components to change their affected frequencies, if darknesss/brightness is the real issue, the easier change might be to tweak the two low-pass (high cut) filters just before the master volume. R16/C15 is one R17/C16 is the other. They're identical. Both cutting 3dB @ 6kHz, so 6dB total. You could lower the value of either or both caps, but I find it easier to swap resistors cuz they're cheaper and their case size don't change with value. 10k will raise your cutoff frequency to be 7.2kHz. You can use this calculator to check other values: http://www.learningaboutelectronics.com/Articles/Low-pass-filter-calculator.php#answer1

Personally, I'd try that before cutting the bass. It's all a balance, right? More treble can feel like less bass. "darkness" doesn't necessarily imply too much bass to me. But if it's too "boomy", that might suggest a low cut is required to get your desired frequency response. For that, I might just lower the value of one of the coupling caps (C2, 4, 5, 7, etc.)

Back