SOLVED Looking for some help with my Madbean Edgelord

peccary

Hey everyone,

I'm having some trouble with this build and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Here's the build docs.

The pedal works well in Wah mode and Synth 1, but on Synth 2 I am getting very low volume as well as some scratchiness.

I went through and measured the voltages and was getting some wacky readings on the voltage regulator as well as a few pins on the LM 13700. I also adjusted the trim pot to the correct 7 volts.

On the regulator I'm getting I - 9.33 (fine) O - 7 (fine) and on the ground I am getting 5.76. I don't know what's going on with the ground because according to the docs it ought to be at 0, so this one is weirding me out.

On the LM 13700 most values are pretty close but there are a few that are pretty far out of whack: 1 reads 0.96 (should be 1.12), 5 reads 2.19 (should be 5.9), 7 reads 2.18 (should be 5.9), 10 reads 2.02 (should be 5.82), and 12 reads 2.07 (should be 5.83), 16 is 0.96 (should be 1.15).

I'm hoping that this is a bad regulator or chip that I can replace and that someone can tell me that based off this information, but if I need photos of the I can grab some. The 4558's and transistors all align somewhat well with the reported necessary voltages, though there is some variance. the ones I listed above were way off. I haven't had a chance to go through it with my probe yet, but I won't have time for that for a few days, at least, so I thought it couldn't hurt to ask here. It seems odd to me that it would work perfectly in two of the three modes, or at least that makes me think that it's something specific and that someone might be able to point to something based off this info.

Here's a photo of all of the values I got written out on the build docs that list the correct voltages if that's helpful:

Thanks for your help, folks. I really appreciate it.

Joe, it looks like T1 is the adjuster for the voltage regulator. Did you set the output with it?

Yup, here it is in the doc...

• Use your multimeter to adjust the T1 trimmer. Place the negative lead to ground and positive lead to the “7V” pad next to C24. Adjust T1 until you read 7vDC.

Joe, it looks like T1 is the adjuster for the voltage regulator. Did you set the output with it?

Yup, here it is in the doc...

• Use your multimeter to adjust the T1 trimmer. Place the negative lead to ground and positive lead to the “7V” pad next to C24. Adjust T1 until you read 7vDC.
Yeah, it's set to 7 volts.

Reactions: fig
The build doc shows this reg installed:

It’s got the heat sink whereas of course your TO92 reg does not — so maybe check the darasheets for differences.

Also double-check your resister teepees, make sure they’re joined solidly and giving you the desired resistance. I’ve not compared them to the schem to see if they’re involved with power or the 13700.

Weird! S2 not behaving itself.
On the schematic…ABC paths correspond thusly, yes?
A=Wah
B=Synth1
C=Synth2

The B & C channels bypass IC3 (4558), so I’d think that if S1 is working, so would S2 — barring incorrect parts.

Gotta be power related methinks, based on your voltage findings. Check those reg datasheets!

Good luck Joe.
I’m planning on ditching Synth2 on mine (didn’t sound good in the demos, maybe check the demos again yourself). I’m going to see if I can repurpose Synth2…

The build doc shows this reg installed:

It’s got the heat sink whereas of course your TO92 reg does not — so maybe check the darasheets for differences.

Also double-check your resister teepees, make sure they’re joined solidly and giving you the desired resistance. I’ve not compared them to the schem to see if they’re involved with power or the 13700.

Weird! S2 not behaving itself.
On the schematic…ABC paths correspond thusly, yes?
A=Wah
B=Synth1
C=Synth2

The B & C channels bypass IC3 (4558), so I’d think that if S1 is working, so would S2 — barring incorrect parts.

Gotta be power related methinks, based on your voltage findings. Check those reg datasheets!

Good luck Joe.
I’m planning on ditching Synth2 on mine (didn’t sound good in the demos, maybe check the demos again yourself). I’m going to see if I can repurpose Synth2…

This is what the build docs say about the regulator: "The LM317LZ is the recommended regulator due to the smaller size and low current demand. But, you can use the 220-style LM317 (this is what I used in my build). It will require you to bend the tab on the regulator to 90 deg. FYI: both regulators have the same pinout."

I guess I am wondering if it is faulty, or, if not, what else would give me a voltage reading on the ground pin of the regulator when there shouldn't be any (and why should that affect just the synth 2 mode, or are these separate issues?). I don't want to start pulling parts out until I can get a little bit of a direction. Looking at the schematic I am having a tough time following/untangling the three modes, but I feel like I can fumble my way through it with my probe on Wednesday.

Also, they Synth 2 setting was a bit disappointing in reviews, and most reviewers didn't seem to like it either. Kind of funny that this is the issue it's having :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
This is what the build docs say about the regulator: "The LM317LZ is the recommended regulator due to the smaller size and low current demand. But, you can use the 220-style LM317 (this is what I used in my build). It will require you to bend the tab on the regulator to 90 deg. FYI: both regulators have the same pinout."

I guess I am wondering if it is faulty, or, if not, what else would give me a voltage reading on the ground pin of the regulator when there shouldn't be any (and why should that affect just the synth 2 mode, or are these separate issues?). I don't want to start pulling parts out until I can get a little bit of a direction. Looking at the schematic I am having a tough time following/untangling the three modes, but I feel like I can fumble my way through it with my probe on Wednesday.

Also, they Synth 2 setting was a bit disappointing in reviews, and most reviewers didn't seem to like it either. Kind of funny that this is the issue it's having :ROFLMAO:
Right, either reg will do — I didn’t read the doc (well, not since the PCB came out), I just looked at the diagrams, schematic and your pic.

Wish I could’ve been helpful. I’ll lurk for your thread at MB, hopefully I can learn something in the process of your build gettIng fixed👌🏽.

Right, either reg will do — I didn’t read the doc (well, not since the PCB came out), I just looked at the diagrams, schematic and your pic.

Wish I could’ve been helpful. I’ll lurk for your thread at MB, hopefully I can learn something in the process of your build gettIng fixed👌🏽.
According to Brian the regulator is fine and the 0 volts on the ground pin on the build docs was a typo, so that's not the issue. I'm going to see if a new LM 13700 fixes it when I get home tonight. The pins that are giving me trouble are apparently programmed by the IC so it seems likely it's a faulty chip and I was thrown off by the regulator. We'll see - fingers crossed!

Quick update: changing the LM 13700 didn't change anything. Still get a significant volume drop on synth 2.

I tried going through the resistors today but with my colorblindness its pretty unreliable. I can compare them to my known values, though, so that's what I'll do this weekend. Brian said that it might be an issue with IC3A so that's where I'll be focusing. I think I might have an issue with R6 and R7 being the wrong values but it's hard for me to see so I'll verify this weekend.

R15 is a bit messy in your pic :/ looks like 2 resistor over one another. Plus it looks like there's a solder bridge connecting it to r47 next to it. I would check that first !

R15 is a bit messy in your pic :/ looks like 2 resistor over one another. Plus it looks like there's a solder bridge connecting it to r47 next to it. I would check that first !
Yeah, R15 is two resistors in parallel. It looks like it's touching R47 in the photo but it's above it, not touching.

Brian has been helping me out over on MB and has a few things that I still need to try out from his recommendation. Here's the MB thread for anyone interested: https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=33596.0

I'll update this thread once I get the issue resolved.

Edit to add: R15 should be two 15k resistors, but looking at the resistor colors I'm not so sure that's what I have there (I'm a bit colorblind). I'll have to double check when I get home and can look at it in person and compare it. Looks like I might have 1M5 there instead.

Last edited:
Back