DIY Wah pedals, need some suggestions.....

MichaelW

Hey gang,

So I've been wanting to build a DIY wah pedal for the collection. As I've been doing some cursory research it seems like the hardest thing seems to be finding a good quality shell.

I had a killer coupon from Melody Music and snagged a new plain Jane Dunlop CryBaby. (Haven't even opened the box yet).

What projects would fit into this enclosure?

GuitarPCB has a sale on their Mowah board, think it's under $3. Got the shell and board a couple weeks ago, but have been doing the pile of PPCB projects I have and haven't put that together yet.

I know zilch about Wah pedals. My only frame of reference is the original Crybaby. I was looking at the TearJerker Wah and see it fits in a Dunlop enclosure. Anyone built this?

Sham wah! sham wah! sham wah!
This 💯! Will has an original and his recommendation lead me to build mine. I've had different cry babies, vox, and boutique wahs over the past 30 years and this is my favorite. All killer, no filler. No endless knob turning, just kick it on and play. Dead simple and just works, one of @Robert best projects. This is from TWS profile so it's not here anymore. I built the foxrox buffer but later took it out since I no longer use fuzz.
Screenshot_20230616-103107.png Screenshot_20230616-103134.png Screenshot_20230616-103049.png

This 💯! Will has an original and his recommendation lead me to build mine. I've had different cry babies, vox, and boutique wahs over the past 30 years and this is my favorite. All killer, no filler. No endless knob turning, just kick it on and play. Dead simple and just works, one of @Robert best projects. This is from TWS profile so it's not here anymore. I built the foxrox buffer but later took it out since I no longer use fuzz.
View attachment 50599View attachment 50600View attachment 50601
Is that a Crybaby enclosure? Only downside is that it’s a Vertex. Analogous with the term “douchebag” heh.

Is that a Crybaby enclosure? Only downside is that it’s a Vertex. Analogous with the term “douchebag” heh.
It is a used crybaby shell I snagged at my local GC for 45 dollars. I did use an area51 icar pot and a halo inductor. I also made the trimmer external like on the original.
It's actually NOT a vertex... It's a BBE!
Yep, he just bought BBE wahs and gooped/rebadged them like the asshat he is. It's an amazing wah and Mike NEEDS to build this.

Listen to everything these guys have said and i'll also add a few points:

1.) Having owned a Tearjerker, it's option overkill.

2.) I prefer making the "Mids" control variable instead of the Q control. Seems to actually affect the Q better.

3.) The Q resistor seems to sound best between 47-68k. any lower or higher and the sweep starts to get muted.

Thanks for this thread. I've had the thought in my head for a while to go for it and start getting the bits together. But then I saw elder play and his mini crybaby sounded plenty good for my needs and the size is a big plus. I will mark this thread for future use when I get around to it but if I just need a wah I will go the mini route for now.

Back