Magnetron - Extreme Oscillation Volume

paniagua

When the Feedback pot is turned a little past 3 o'clock, the volume runs away and I run for the amp power switch. I have the Magnetron placed in the FX loop, without any way to attenuate signal after leaving the pedal. When placed in front of preamp, yes there's a volume boost, but not fry your speakers level. I enjoy the borderline oscillating sounds but it gets real touchy after a certain threshold and I don't want to accidentally blow my amp, nor my eardrums.

I checked continuity and correct values for R4-R9 as well as D1 and D2. Pedal and effects work correctly otherwise.

Options are:
1. Lay off the FDBK knob silly
2. Just place it in front of your amp silly.
3. Drop signal into FDBK pot by increasing R9? I would maybe choke off oscillation all together? Socket and trial/error?
4. Replace diodes with a lower V drop ones? Get oscillation but at an attenuated sane volume?

All suggestions and smart ass comments welcomed.

Adjust the internal trim pot so the pedal is at unity gain. For some reason keeley thought it's a better idea to boost volume before the effect instead of setting it after the wet and dry signals are mixed together. This means that the signal going into the delay circuit is also boosted so if your pedal is louder than unity it will be more sensitive at high feedback settings.

Thanks. I have the trimmer set right now so that there's maybe a couple of dB drop by ear when pedal engaged. It's still insanely loud with a huge jump in volume when it starts to go into oscillation.

Last edited:
Back