Pre-boost 2-in-1 wiring

sticky1138

This is probably something I should know by now, but I've never built a 2-in-1 and I'm having a hard time describing what I want in a search.

How do I wire a footswitchable pre-boost? That is, I have two PCBs, a boost going into an OD, and I want one master footswitch that bypasses both, plus an additional footswitch that bypasses the boost only. The goal is that the boost cannot be active by itself when the OD is bypassed, but is toggle-able when the OD is on.

Hi,
I was just going to start a new thread when I saw this one - its the same question as the OP (Boost into drive) but I want to use a bi-colour LED (green when the effect is active, red when the boost is engaged) and I was just looking for sense check on the wiring below and if there is another / better way of doing it? I don't think I can ground the inputs this way but not sure if its a big issue or not 🤷‍♂️
Boost wiring.png

Hi,
I was just going to start a new thread when I saw this one - its the same question as the OP (Boost into drive) but I want to use a bi-colour LED (green when the effect is active, red when the boost is engaged) and I was just looking for sense check on the wiring below and if there is another / better way of doing it? I don't think I can ground the inputs this way but not sure if its a big issue or not 🤷‍♂️
View attachment 75072

Looks good — just make sure the Bi-Colour LED you get is a COMMON-ANODE, because there are bi-colour LEDs that are common-cathode, too.

Maybe consider star-grounding if you run into some noise/hum issues...

Oh, and you can get Green/Blue, Blue/Red, Green/Amber and maybe a few other colour-combos.

Another thing to consider is that when the effect is off, you'll have no way of knowing if the boost is already engaged until you kick on the pedal.
That may or may not be a problem depending on how you use it and whether or not you care.

Looks good — just make sure the Bi-Colour LED you get is a COMMON-ANODE, because there are bi-colour LEDs that are common-cathode, too.

Maybe consider star-grounding if you run into some noise/hum issues...

Oh, and you can get Green/Blue, Blue/Red, Green/Amber and maybe a few other colour-combos.

Another thing to consider is that when the effect is off, you'll have no way of knowing if the boost is already engaged until you kick on the pedal.
That may or may not be a problem depending on how you use it and whether or not you care.
Thanks appreciate the tips, I'm not that familiar with star grounding but I'll have a look into it. Good shout on the common cathode

Back