SOLVED bootlegdiode switch question

jwm

hi all, first time building/posting!

built this guy over the weekend...everything seems to work with a few exceptions

a) i decided to get a little adventurous with the diode switch and the diode choices. went with an on/off/on switch and used two different diodes:

D1 has a 1N4148
D2 has a 1N270 GERMANIUM DIODE DO-7

so i guess in the down position is selects the germanium? not 100% about that but it sounds a w e s o m e compared to the other two positions. however, i noticed that when i make switch selections, if the drive is up at all and the clean blend isn't dime'd, it makes a pretty loud and apparent pop...does this normally happen on this pedal, or is it because i have weird mismatched diodes?

b) whenever i touch the diode switch with my finger, it seems to cut the signal entirely...like i could mimic tremolo but touching it quickly...feel like thats def not supposed to happen, and maybe a ground problem? (if its relevant info, i used a powder coated enclosure that i then drilled out, so all the drill holes have the exposed raw enclosure where the pots/switches/jacks fit)

any thoughts?

A) - yes, the different Fvd (Forward Voltage Drop) of different clipping diodes makes a difference.

B) - touching any conductive part of a live circuit cause the human body's natural capacitance to interact with a circuit in one fashion or another. If the signal still drops off when touching that part with a plastic probe (of some sort) does NOT cause the signal to drop off, then it is definitely body capacitance causing the drop off. If the signal drops off when touching the part with a plastic probe, then it may be that the soldering is not as complete as it ought to be.

Back