How hard would it be to bypass the buffers in a Boss DM2-W?

My thought was we could use the A/B box to establish whether HamishR is really hearing what he thinks he's hearing.

My A/B box has a stomp switch and no indicator, so after a few random pressed it's hard to know which way it's connected.

View attachment 73014
I have worked out similar ways to test myself blind. One thing I have often done to test the through tone of delays is to turn all the delay level down - anything which isn't the core sound - and repeatedly stomp on the switch while looking the other way or blocking my view of the pedal with a cloth. If I can't tell if the pedal is on or not then at least I know it's not messing with my input signal enough to worry about.

I had an Ibanez AD99 for a while which was so noisy that I didn't even have to play a note to know when it was on!

The thing about the DM2-W is that it's not just the sound. It's the feel as well. I'm sure a lot of players wouldn't notice and obviously the vast majority don't find it an issue. But when you have gone to the trouble of building and refining your own amps, guitars and overdrives to get a very specific sound (which is the reason I got into all of this stuff in the first place) it's unfortunately noticeable when you stick a tone-sucking pedal in the very short chain. Fortunately I have found lots of great pedals which don't tone-suck. Just in the past 5-10 years things have improved quite dramatically.

(And if anyone wants a great sounding delay which can do amazing digital or Memory Man style delays with no tone suck or extraneous noise the UA Starlight is fantastic. Its tape delay isn't bad either.)

I would say that a relay based TBP is identical to a 3PDT TBP in every single way.

Honestly that's a good catch. Might be worth just eliminating it from the circuit altogether.
Whatever it is, it works really well. It's a cool tuner. Even in "always on" mode it sounds great. As in I can't tell any difference in sound.

While we're on the buffering on boss waza craft pedals, what topology do they use on the output? I'd like to understand it a bit more so I can maybe implement it in one of my own designs.

Yup.

It sounds like it's something too tricky to attempt for me. I'd rather not mess with the pedal. It's no biggie really - I have other delay pedals!

Another pedal I don't use any more for the same reason is my old Ibanez PDM-1. I love that thing! I don't know why there isn't an updated version because it's such a cool pedal. It's entirely plastic but has lasted well since 1988 when I bought it! I used to gig with it all the time. What made it so useful is that it's very compact, sounds pretty good for the era and has about 20 presets you can program. It does a very good chorus (for back when I used to use such sounds), flanging, delay - even a decent uni-vibe kinda sound. I mainly switched between two long, ethereal kinds of delay and a slapback.

I wish Ibanez or Maxon would bring out an updated version with TBP and a more robust enclosure.

Have you by chance tried with another DM-2w? Maybe you happen to have one with one or more out-of-spec components. See if you can find another DM-2w to borrow just to see if it's any different than yours.

Back