LT1054 overheated, broken. What can cause this?

harmaes

I'm building the TTTSNB from God City Instruments https://www.godcityinstruments.com/collections/diy-pcbs/products/n-e-w-the-thing-that-should-not-be.

I'm placing both PCBs in seperate BB enclosures. I've already finished the Preamp but there's an issue with the dual EQ pedal.
I've populated it and it was working correctly when I quickly tried it. I drilled the enclosure and put the PCB in and tightened the pots and tried it again but it didn't work anymore. It sounded farty as well. I suspected the LT1054 so I replaced it with one from the Preamp build and the EQ pedal worked again. The reason I suspected it was because the EQ PCB worked with a 9v battery with a lower voltage (5v or something).

Using a power adapter with full 9v I noticed that the LT1054 was getting hot and starting having no sound again. So I'm wondering what can cause a LT1054 to overheat and break? I did manage to have the + and - touching eachother and there's no polarity protection on this pedal.

I will check the components I populated against the building docs to make sure there's nothing else going wrong.

Thanks for your help

Last edited:
I validated all components and they all match the build docs.

I remember that I replaced the 1k led resistor with a 5,6k which I also used for the preamp build. It’s close to LT1054 but I doubt if that would cause the overheating? I couldn’t measure the 10pf cap with my multimeter, maybe too low in value. Would that influence anything?
See attached pic.

Attachments

• IMG_1572.jpeg
    IMG_1572.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 8
I’ve ordered some new LT1054 and found an elco cap on the PCB that was connected to the LT1054 of which the leads were very close to eachother, so maybe that caused the issue. Will start a trouble shooting thread when the problem persists.

Back