4PDT stereo bypass, with LED (SOLVED: Found PCB)

tegendemuur

I was reading through an article on how to deal with switchings on stereo in/out pedals. In the site linked below I came across: "Stereo effects with true bypass can be implemented using a mechanical 4PDT switch, but you have to leave out the LED in that case. In order to control an indicator LED, an additional pole is needed and 5PDT footswitches are either very difficult or impossible to come by."

[Haven't found a wiring diagram for this, but will insert it here when I come across it.]

Happy to read I can, for now, stick with mechanical switches! What's best practice to implement a LED when a 4PDT switch runs out of poles? Are there daughterboard around that allows for a thing like this? PedalPCB's Double Pendulum does this, right? (D3?) I inserted the circuit below. I guess there's ways to do this off board as well?

Screenshot 2024-05-30 at 07-53-14 Schematic-DoublePendulum.pdf - Schematic-DoublePendulum.pdf.png

For my stereo dual concentric pot builds, using two 3PDT makes sense. But for the stereo dual gang builds, having two footswitches is silly.

I am also curious, if the standard order switch wiring that I've come across so many times would still work when using two 4PDT switches for that one enclosure that houses two stereo effects? :unsure:

EDIT: Oh, the Double Pendulum way looks a bit like the Millenium bypass! So, I could hook up a 4PDT up as two DPDT in my single footswitch build. Time to wrap my head around the Millenium...

Source: The Millenium Bypass - True Bypass and LED indicator with only a DPDT
Source: Relay True Bypass Switching Part 1: Relay Basics and Stereo Guitar Pedals

Last edited:
Back