6-Band EQ—“Metal-as-F&@k” Version!

Caldo71

So I’ve been messing around with these EQ calculators… …and using it to swap out caps/resistors on the 6-band EQ.

I socketed all the relevant pads to test my work before I “made it real” and to my utter surprise—being kind of a newb and not really understanding much about theory/signal flow—it came out pretty awesome sounding!!! Here’s the final second build without the socketing…

image.jpg

My thinking was that the pedal’s bandwidth was a bit narrow, especially for metal stuff, personal experience being that you can easily hear guitar down to 60Hz and up to 13 Hz. So the goal was to expand the bands down that low, and up that high for “air”, plus shifting around the lower- and upper-mids to respectively carve out mud and harshness in distorted guitars.

Fair warning again I don’t 100% know what I’m doing so if anyone has suggestions for smarter cap/resistor combos I’m all ears, but I thought I’d post this here for anyone who wants a really beefy EQ curve for their guitar…sounds great to my ears thus far.

Attached is a modified version of the build doc for pp1-2, with the cap/resistor values altered, plus color coding to show which components are for which potentiometer and what the new center frequencies are.

Have fun and let me know if you have tweaks!!!

Attachments

• 6BandEQ-Potentiometer_Metal-AF-Edition.pdf
    231.9 KB · Views: 57
How cool! Thanks for putting in the work and sharing
MORE than welcome! Hope it does somebody some good. There are some scary-knowledgeable people posting stuff in this forum...I realize this is pretty ground-floor. But it does sound good! if only there was a seventh band to address that gap in the middlest middle of the midrange...

Back