72’ pignose

I didn't get the resistor as planned, I've set the Pignose aside for a few days 'til the resistor gets here. Plenty of other pedal and home projects to keep me occupied.

I didn't get the resistor as planned, I've set the Pignose aside for a few days 'til the resistor gets here. Plenty of other pedal and home projects to keep me occupied.
Couldn't you use 4 40 ohms (or 47r which is probably more common) 1/4 W resistors to make a 10 ohms 1 W resistor ? Or is it too dangerous on a amp circuit?

Couldn't you use 4 40 ohms (or 47r which is probably more common) 1/4 W resistors to make a 10 ohms 1 W resistor ? Or is it too dangerous on a amp circuit?
Could, it's just a matter of space. I have some 10Ω 5W "sandstone" resistors, but no way one of those will fit.

Could, it's just a matter of space. I have some 10Ω 5W "sandstone" resistors, but no way one of those will fit.
Hey Chuck I replaced that 1ohm resistor on that pignose and it fired right up. I did also order a 10 ohm resistor to try out that capacitor thingy you were talking about. What was the end goal of that

I finally got my wirewound resistors. I replaced the 1Ω resistor with a 12Ω and a 100μF in parallel. I replaced the 680Ω resistor and thermistor with a 1N4004. The Pignose works, and it gets plenty loud, but above a certain volume there is a fair amount of crossover distortion. I'm thinking the 12Ω is too large, so next I'll try something around 3Ω. 1Ω is too low with a 12V power supply. If you're using batteries, the 1Ω is probably best.

To answer your question, the goal of increasing the 1Ω resistor was to stabilize the bias. It's very stable, but the consequence is too much crossover distortion. I need to find some middle ground.

I finally got my wirewound resistors. I replaced the 1Ω resistor with a 12Ω and a 100μF in parallel. I replaced the 680Ω resistor and thermistor with a 1N4004. The Pignose works, and it gets plenty loud, but above a certain volume there is a fair amount of crossover distortion. I'm thinking the 12Ω is too large, so next I'll try something around 3Ω. 1Ω is too low with a 12V power supply. If you're using batteries, the 1Ω is probably best.

To answer your question, the goal of increasing the 1Ω resistor was to stabilize the bias. It's very stable, but the consequence is too much crossover distortion. I need to find some middle ground.
I see. I don’t really know what they’re supposed to sound like but it does start distorting once I get the volume up around half way or so

Back