Abyss

marksescon

Where do I begin. I built this up on June 16 and it worked like 20 minutes but then the LED would stop oscillating and just stay on. So then I confirmed every component was correct then resoldered all my joints, which required me to also scrap the dual gang pot. Luckily I always buy 3-4 of the same parts. Then the LED would burn out despite having the correct orientation. So I resoldered in a new one - and that one ended up burning up. I did this 3-4 times to the point where the pad for the Anode “fell” off. I gave up at that point and stashed this pedal away to give myself reprieve.

So the other day it dawns on me that I can just “jumper” the LED to the third lug of the correct pot based on the schematic. But then the LED burns out again. So I end up connecting a 390R resistor between the LED and pot. And it works!

But then as I’m embedding it in the enclosure, the LED stops working. (On top of all this, I also incorrectly drilled the holes in my enclosure, so I had to Dremel the hole wider.) I decipher it’s loose transistors in their sockets. So I attempt to solder in the transistors into the sockets, and I end up melting off the sockets! So jerryrig an off board socket, and the pedal finally works.

Hands down my favorite pedal on my board albeit the ugliest. And I fully admit all the follies in this build are my own. In the future, I’ll definitely build up a new one and work harder at my soldering skills.
CBBC5C43-812D-4742-AC72-6045D35F33DB.jpeg
DCCE59E8-B229-4650-A95E-0B4C71F6188D.jpeg

I had the exact same issues with my board, LED would keep burning out. Works for a while then LED issues again. I've stopped using mine as it was too unreliable

Glad you got it figured out. I just finished this build and had a similar issue with the LED just staying on. It would only happen as I started tightening the pots to the enclosure. I was able to recreate the problem when I'd bend one of the pots around. Think it was making contact with some things it shouldn't? Anyway, I taped some thin cardboard in some key spots and I haven't had that issue since. Love the pedal.

Back