Active Buffered ByPass Loop (more fun w/buffers part II)

MichaelW

So this isn't a very exciting build, but it's exciting for me because it's working out as a problem solver for me.

I've been playing around with incorporating unity gain active buffers in a couple of my builds to see how it impacts the signal integrity in my recording setup.

I've mentioned in another thread that using my delay and reverb pedals into the front of my recording interface introduces some loss of high end. Actually, I'm not really sure that it's loss of high end I'm hearing or something else going on. But one thing I wanted to try was to keep my modulation pedals in their own buffered loop and then the rest of my pedals would be true bypass into the interface (or my amp).

With my tube amp, running my reverb and delay in the built in buffered efx loop is my preferred setup. I know there are a lot of folks that prefer running those into the front end of an amp but I've never been able to make that method sound very good.

So basically, I was trying to simulate that same idea for my desktop recording rig. This is probably just a first iteration of what might eventually be a dual loop pedal with one active and one passive plus a tuner send to take that out of the signal chain completely.

I used the single buffer board from GGG for this build.

I've gotten so accustomed to using 3PDT daughterboards from PedalPCB that wiring a footswitch directly looks a bit messy to me and I really had to think about what goes where:) (I'm so spoiled by @PedalPCB)

Anyway, very pleased at how this sounds, I've got my Spatialist and Hydra in the loop and it sounds very transparent to me. It's also given me the confidence to try building the dual loop active/passive/tuner send version.

IMG_3092.JPG

IMG_3090.JPG

IMG_3091.JPG

Back