Adding, “Simple Jfet buffer” to another PCB?

Hey guys! I’m interested in building a buffered effect using the simple Jfet buffer pcb offered here. I’m wondering how you would wire it up adding it to the off board components/main pcb. I imagine that you could just run two leads from the main board.. One set of leads to the switch, the second to the buffer pcb?? I’m not sure

There’s also the matter of the placement of the buffer either pre/post circuit, as well as the possibility of maybe using an input and an output buffer.. Or would 2 buffers be overkill?? I’ve always been curious about how a buffered circuit would change or possibly improve the sound of my overall sound (I’ve got a bunch of true bypass fx wired in single chain).

I’m thinking it would be cool to build either the Katana boost clone or the “Clandestine Pre” ep-3 with an added buffer.. Thanks in advance for any help or advice!!

I suggest building a buffer first and experimenting with placement. Many pedals already have an output buffer (especially modulation or delay) so you may already have an output buffer in the chain. I would try an always on input buffer after any fuzz and maybe an output one at the very end of the chain. Good luck!

I suggest building a buffer first and experimenting with placement. Many pedals already have an output buffer (especially modulation or delay) so you may already have an output buffer in the chain. I would try an always on input buffer after any fuzz and maybe an output one at the very end of the chain. Good luck!
I actually don’t, everything on my board is true-bypass. I used to have a ts9 tube screamer but built a clone which replaced it yrs ago that was the last buffered effect I owned. I don’t currently have a fuzz or a wah either but that may change at some point (as with all things gear being in flux)..
I was actually asking more specifically about properly wiring up/adding a PedalPcb jfet-buffer to another project build or an existing circuit (For sake of simplicity sticking to just pedalpcb fx layouts). Pre or Post effect only being important if placement changes how you’d wire it up..

I actually don’t, everything on my board is true-bypass. I used to have a ts9 tube screamer but built a clone which replaced it yrs ago that was the last buffered effect I owned. I don’t currently have a fuzz or a wah either but that may change at some point (as with all things gear being in flux)..
I was actually asking more specifically about properly wiring up/adding a PedalPcb jfet-buffer to another project build or an existing circuit (For sake of simplicity sticking to just pedalpcb fx layouts). Pre or Post effect only being important if placement changes how you’d wire it up..
Buffered output and buffered bypass are two different things. I was talking about buffered output: a pedal that has a low output impedance buffer when on. This is common with delays and modulation (even diy). Buffered bypass is when there is a buffer always on even when the effect is off (like a Klon, where the buffer can be turned off with the internal switch, or like most Boss pedals).
Getting back to your question: do you want the former or the latter? Do you want to add a buffer to a pedal when on, or when bypassed?

I used one in my Tearjerker with added pulldown resistors.
Could you or someone else here please elaborate? Forgive me my experience & knowledge varies depending upon subject, projects that utilize 2-sided PCB’s w/Vias etc makes things fuzzy regarding tracing..

Buffered output and buffered bypass are two different things. I was talking about buffered output: a pedal that has a low output impedance buffer when on. This is common with delays and modulation (even diy). Buffered bypass is when there is a buffer always on even when the effect is off (like a Klon, where the buffer can be turned off with the internal switch, or like most Boss pedals).
Getting back to your question: do you want the former or the latter? Do you want to add a buffer to a pedal when on, or when bypassed?
Awesome we’re getting to the heart of things, Thanks! For sake of this discussion whichever is less complex in practical terms, If both were equal I’d say add a buffer to a pedal when on..

Could you or someone else here please elaborate? Forgive me my experience & knowledge varies depending upon subject, projects that utilize 2-sided PCB’s w/Vias etc makes things fuzzy regarding tracing..

I used the PedalPCB simple JFET buffer with a J201 adapter board (also from PedalPCB) in between my “Echoes”/Seagull switch on my wah and the true bypass stomp switch.

Because it was sandwiched between two switches, I used external pulldown resistors on the circuit to prevent any popping.

I used 1/8 watt 1M resistors on the backside of the board and then hot glued it in place in my wah shell.

Awesome we’re getting to the heart of things, Thanks! For sake of this discussion whichever is less complex in practical terms, If both were equal I’d say add a buffer to a pedal when on..
Well, it depends what you want to achieve. If you have a pedal that makes your tone “duller” when on, it is possible that it doesn’t have a good output buffer and that is causing the dullness. This would typically happen if you have a very long cable after it (say 30ft) and/or a long chain of true bypass pedals. If using a much shorter cable or removing most pedals fixes the dullness, then you need to add an output buffer when the pedal is on. That’s easy to do by adding the JFET buffered board between the pedal out pin and the 3PDT switch (so it’s only on when the pedal is on).
If on the other hand, the tone is dull when the pedal is off but not on (and the solution is the same, removing cable length or a long chain of pedals) then it may be that the pedal does have a good buffer and you notice the dullness because when you turn it off you lose the advantage of the buffer. In that case you may want a buffered bypass. In that case you may want to use the C-buffer board instead of true bypass.
If the dullness occurs in both cases, you can put the buffer after the switch so that it’s always in the circuit.
Finally, if you don’t have any of those situations but are just curious about what a buffer could do for your tone, I suggest either building one and try placing it at various parts of the chain, or using a pedal that has a buffered bypass (like most boss pedals) to see if it improves the sound. I use a Klone at the end of my drive chain with the buffer always on to prevent tone loss.
So, what problem are you trying to solve?

I used the PedalPCB simple JFET buffer with a J201 adapter board (also from PedalPCB) in between my “Echoes”/Seagull switch on my wah and the true bypass stomp switch.

Because it was sandwiched between two switches, I used external pulldown resistors on the circuit to prevent any popping.

I used 1/8 watt 1M resistors on the backside of the board and then hot glued it in place in my wah shell.
Would you possibly be gracious enough to share a photo or two of this with me..? Im wiring up a custom Wah right now, and right beside it on my bench is the simple Jfet buffer PCB’s. I’ve already populated & soldered a few of them (although didn’t you find it strange, the 10uf cap not marked +/- on the board or labeled for an electrolytic bi-polar. I’m not aware of an ordinary film going higher than 2-4uf. Misprint?)

-Anyway I’d be nice to have a visual reference as I’d like to be able to do the same thing you did with my Wah circuit.. Thanks!!

I’ve already populated & soldered a few of them (although didn’t you find it strange, the 10uf cap not marked +/- on the board or labeled for an electrolytic bi-polar. I’m not aware of an ordinary film going higher than 2-4uf. Misprint?)
These are MLCC so non-polarized.(y)

Back