Aion 360 preamp build

mybud

Build Rating
3.00 star(s)
A preamp made famous by Jaco and John Paul Jones: must be good. Has some slightly esoteric parts (NPN Germanium and transformer), but nothing too weird or unobtanium.

360_innards_01.jpg

I took my time and populated the board with due care.

360_innards_02.jpg

When it came to installing the rotary switch daughterboard, all hell broke loose. First, I managed to misorient the retainer thingie so my carefully drilled retaining hole proved useless and then soldered the switch to said daughterboard beforehand. Wrong!

In fairness to Kevin, his instructions are crystal clear (if you follow them). Kludged the whole mess with loose resistor leads. Ugly but it works.

360_outards_01.jpg

Sound-wise, still some exploring to do. Have to confess the fuzz isn't my bag (subbed a 1304 for the recommended 1306 BTW). I'd prefer it to be more gradual: more control through the pot's range but it gets wild pretty early, so again not really my bag.

The clean circuit is not particularly unique to my ears at least and, for this aspect, I prefer the IVP. Perhaps it's not exactly a fair comparison...

360_outards_02.jpg

It's quite a fiddly build when it comes to installing the whole mess. Perhaps the long wait for all to fall into place (and the resultant high expectation level) was my downfall. YMMV of course. Thanks for reading as ever.

Back