Aion FX Meridian

mybud

meridian_gutshot.jpg
My first Aion build. The Meridian is a compressor/exciter for guitar based on the Guyatone (Nady in the US) PS-021 from the 1980s.

I wanted to use a 3PDT toggle rather than a footswitch (as below), figuring that it's most likely to be left on in my rig. There's a simple mod which increases the available sustain (as opposed to acting more as a limiter in the stock version) and there's buckets of it on tap.
meridian_housed.jpg
Enclosure is a dark grey sand texture, as you see.

The footswitch add-on is ok, if a bit fiddly and fussy, but otherwise a fairly straightforward build. The colour control is a kind of tone shaping control, useful for thinning out the excess low end on my Tele's neck pickup.

Next up, PPCB's own Equilux, which I'll embark on as soon as the final ingredients arrive from Tayda. Thanks for reading as ever. NGBS.

I feel dumb for asking, but what does an “exciter” do?

Is it adding sustain? In other words, do I need one? 🤣
According to the dreaded WP,

‘An exciter (also called a harmonic exciter or aural exciter) is an audio signal processing technique used to enhance a signal by dynamic equalization, phase manipulation, harmonic synthesis of (usually) high frequency signals, and through the addition of subtle harmonic distortion. Dynamic equalization involves variation of the equalizer characteristics in the time domain as a function of the input. Due to the varying nature, noise is reduced compared to static equalizers. Harmonic synthesis involves the creation of higher order harmonics from the fundamental frequency signals present in the recording. As noise is usually more prevalent at higher frequencies, the harmonics are derived from a purer frequency band resulting in clearer highs. Exciters are also used to synthesize harmonics of low frequency signals to simulate deep bass in smaller speakers.

Originally made in valve (tube) based equipment, they are now implemented as part of a digital signal processor, often trying to emulate analogue exciters. Exciters are mostly found as plug-ins for sound editing software and in sound enhancement processors.’

All jargon aside, I tried it just now set up after PPCB’s circulator phaser and it brings out bands of harmonics in (adds more detail to) the phaser sweep. Also has a Dyna-Ross compressor front end before the exciter, so set quite low (as I prefer, personal taste) it also smooths the signal a bit.

in short, you most definitely need one 🎸👍😊

According to the dreaded WP,

‘An exciter (also called a harmonic exciter or aural exciter) is an audio signal processing technique used to enhance a signal by dynamic equalization, phase manipulation, harmonic synthesis of (usually) high frequency signals, and through the addition of subtle harmonic distortion. Dynamic equalization involves variation of the equalizer characteristics in the time domain as a function of the input. Due to the varying nature, noise is reduced compared to static equalizers. Harmonic synthesis involves the creation of higher order harmonics from the fundamental frequency signals present in the recording. As noise is usually more prevalent at higher frequencies, the harmonics are derived from a purer frequency band resulting in clearer highs. Exciters are also used to synthesize harmonics of low frequency signals to simulate deep bass in smaller speakers.

Originally made in valve (tube) based equipment, they are now implemented as part of a digital signal processor, often trying to emulate analogue exciters. Exciters are mostly found as plug-ins for sound editing software and in sound enhancement processors.’

All jargon aside, I tried it just now set up after PPCB’s circulator phaser and it brings out bands of harmonics in (adds more detail to) the phaser sweep. Also has a Dyna-Ross compressor front end before the exciter, so set quite low (as I prefer, personal taste) it also smooths the signal a bit.

in short, you most definitely need one 🎸👍😊
That is a great explanation. It does sound a must have!

View attachment 52037
My first Aion build. The Meridian is a compressor/exciter for guitar based on the Guyatone (Nady in the US) PS-021 from the 1980s.

I wanted to use a 3PDT toggle rather than a footswitch (as below), figuring that it's most likely to be left on in my rig. There's a simple mod which increases the available sustain (as opposed to acting more as a limiter in the stock version) and there's buckets of it on tap.
View attachment 52038
Enclosure is a dark grey sand texture, as you see.

The footswitch add-on is ok, if a bit fiddly and fussy, but otherwise a fairly straightforward build. The colour control is a kind of tone shaping control, useful for thinning out the excess low end on my Tele's neck pickup.

Next up, PPCB's own Equilux, which I'll embark on as soon as the final ingredients arrive from Tayda. Thanks for reading as ever. NGBS.
Very nice! I am intrigued!

Back