Aion Sunstone / EHX Small Stone

scheffehcs

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Finished this earlier this year, but just now boxing it up.

I’m not a phaser connoisseur, but I’ve tried all the big ones. I like the Small Stone the best. I built this to replace my Small Stone, which I picked up a few years ago used - it’s a 2000’s reissue that had been modded by Analog Man. As far as I can tell the mods were changing the power jack and fixing the volume issue (lower when engaged).

When comparing the Aion to the EHX, I noticed two differences. First, the EHX darkens the tone just a bit, and so the Aion retains a little more brightness. Second, the range of the Rate control is different. The EHX gets faster.

For my purposes, the slower max rate of the Aion is fine. I’ll probably never use it up that high anyway.

Aion’s boards are nice as usual, although the wiring is still a pain.

For the enclosure, I messed around with some alcohol inks. It turned out ok. Just a bit closer to my goal, which is to make my pedals look like a Rothko painting.

IMG_7540.jpeg

IMG_7539.jpeg

Built this one too and it's pretty nice, only complaints being that I'd prefer a feedback knob instead of the switch and that it can be a bit noisy/hissy. How about yours in that regard?

When comparing the Aion to the EHX, I noticed two differences. First, the EHX darkens the tone just a bit, and so the Aion retains a little more brightness. Second, the range of the Rate control is different. The EHX gets faster.
Over the years Small Stone schematic has been revised several times. Lectric-fx has 3 different versions. Also I have had several latest 'reissue' Small Stones and have to say they can sound a bit different when compared side by side. Some had a bit wider sweep, some were darker, different potentiometer's curve, volume drop, etc.

Nice looking build!

Built this one too and it's pretty nice, only complaints being that I'd prefer a feedback knob instead of the switch and that it can be a bit noisy/hissy. How about yours in that regard?
Yes, I should have mentioned it. The clone is just a little bit noisier, you can hear the noise at one end of the sweep when you aren’t playing. It isn’t too bad though.

Back