AionFX Cirrus (Maxon ST-9 Super Tube Screamer)

owlexifry

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
sadly the Frost Drive just didn’t do it for me.
I thought i really liked it, but after the honeymoon, somehow with all those mods and controls, the raw dynamic and grunt just isn’t quite there, from what i get in a stock ST-9. I needed to get one back on my board, but the size of my side-jacked ST-9 vero build was bugging me.
so it was time to build the AionFX Cirrus legacy board. - in a 1590B with top mount jacks.

IMG_4812.jpeg

yep, my favorite overdrive circuit - i’ve raved all about it before and beyond when i first built it on vero. and then the STL version..

had to fiddle with the print template a bit to get top jacks happening, but it wasn’t really too much of a squeeze.
i also learned the hard and frustrating way that the usual 11mm electrolytic filter caps were not going to fit. (had swap out with some 7mm small guys). somehow the giant 63V 1uF film caps were fine though.. 😅
IMG_4800.jpeg

i’ve been unwell with some sort of viral illness for the last few days, so i kinda blasted through this one and just wanted to get it done and ready for band practice next weekend, so im surprised it didn’t really have any fitment or circuit issues.

IMG_4799.jpeg

might do a demo later maybe.. i’ve kinda already done a heap of demos that use this circuit already.
(although strictly speaking this one has the dual C100K pot and adjusted C R values for mid control, where in my previous build(s) i've been able to use the nominal dual C20K pot and correct R C values. having said that, they do appear to sound identical)

Last edited:
IMG_1195.gif out of all the TS variants you have built what is your favorite to date? I didn’t dig the plumes as much as I was hoping Back to the 808, I might revisit the precision drive again.

Damn that build looks good! 😍

My son just tested positive for covid yesterday. He’s feeling fine, just a scratchy throat. Just a PSA that there’s a huge surge going on in the US right now- stay safe everyone!

Because of the mid control? Does it scoop or just go flat?View attachment 80758
neither.
it’s a fixed mid boost. so the mid control selects the centre/target frequency to be boosted (range is from like 200-2K Hz).
because of this, it never sounds like a normal TS. it sorta can if you set the mid freq control at like 9o’clock.
depending on the amp, it usually sounds pretty good around noon, depending on how bright or dark the amp is.

Damn that build looks good! 😍

My son just tested positive for covid yesterday. He’s feeling fine, just a scratchy throat. Just a PSA that there’s a huge surge going on in the US right now- stay safe everyone!
ay thanks 🤟🏻😎

Back