AionFX Procyon Legacy (BJFE Honey Bee)

The Nature control is kinda bass to the left and treble to the right. I always found it annoying - what if I want more bass and more treble? So I split the Nature into bass and treble which makes more sense to me.

And that's why it's split on the Mojito, which was based on a BJF Model G. The Model G is quite similar to the Honey Bee except is supposed to sound more like an old Gibson amp. I don't know how much like an old Gibson it sounds but it's a slightly tougher take on the Honey Bee. I had modified various things on the Model G but sent it to Chuck to ask for help because he knows way more than I do. I felt proud that I had worked out how to split the Nature control by myself. I may not know as much (or even a thousandth as much!) about this stuff than Chuck does but that bit was mine!!

The Honey Beest is a Honey Bee with and extra gain stage added before the IC, because the CA3130 is a single op-amp chip. In the Honey Beest it is not available as a separate boost but just as a way of getting more level out of the pedal because a Honey Bee sounds great but isn't very loud. So what Chuck did was add the extra gain stage from the Honey Beest to the Model G to make it betterer.

FWIW you can't swap the CA3130 for a 4558 because they have different pinouts, one being a single op-amp and the other being a dual op-amp.
If you squint you might see that the Honey Bee is actually a very modified Rat pedal. The CA3130 is Bjorn's choice to replace the LM308N. So just as I have built Rats using the CA3130 recently I built a Honey Bee with a NOS LM308N tin can chip. It works just fine. And I really like Chuck's bass pot mod for a Rat, which isn't all that different from the way Bjorn did the bass side of the Honey Bee.

Did Jimilee come up with a Honey Bear too? I have a pedal I called the Honey Bear which is simply a modified Honey Beest with the spilt Nature control. I gave the Pre-gain knob a set value where it sounded good to me and left it off the front of the pedal. That kept it as a 4-knob pedal, having Gain, Volume, Bass and Treble.

The Sweet Honey really is quite a different circuit from the Honey Bee, using a dual opamp chip and having vastly different EQ.
Duh....you're absolutely right, C3130 is a single opamp. Don't anyone listen to me.... @Harry Klippton.... :ROFLMAO:

This entire thread is awesome. I love the Mojito and also wish to build all of Bjorn’s stuff. Chuck has a couple breadboard threads with Bjorn stuff that are on my todo list. Obscure crazy pedal builder… hmmm sounds familiar.
Two designers that I never heard of until @Chuck D. Bones started talking about them that I've really fallen for, Bjorn and Skreddy.
Of course anything Chuck designs is worth building!

Back