Amplifier Options

slacjs

I currently have a 15watt Line 6 spider that I've probably had for 15 years and it doesn't play nicely with pedals. I'm wondering what my options are if I only want to spend a few hundred USD. I've had a few thoughts and I'd like other people's input.

I've thought about going for a pedal in a box and just running it through the speaker in this spider, such as the 44 magnum or the orange pedal amp. Could also do this with a small head like a micro terror. Otherwise, it's get an entire new amp, though I'd assume that's going to cost a lot more to get something decent. Has anyone done anything like this before?

Also, I just want it for playing at home.

Thanks.

Reactions: fig
What style of music do you play?

There is the DIY option of the TPA3118 amp in a box that can connect to a cab.

E608425F-2236-48C4-AC41-A17471CBF4C6.jpeg

My main amp is a bass breaker 7 which is a 7 watt tube amp which I like. It is great for playing at home because you can get it overdriven without it being unbearable at home. There are loads of options. The boss katana seem popular as a digital option. There are always used fender blues juniors on eBay as well.

I mostly play blues, rock or metal. In an ideal world, I'd buy a nice fender but I'm looking at what I can make or get for cheaper before I start thinking about that kind of thing. Katana looks interesting but it starts at 600ish USD here in Korea. I'll have a look at both of these suggestions and keep looking, thanks.

Reactions: fig
I recently bought a Quilter SuperBlock US. They do the Fender Blackface thing pretty good and are small enough to fit on a pedal board. The only issue is that Quilter let their last container sit in a port for the last 3 months and they don't seem to be putting any pressure on them to unload it. I bought mine over 5 months ago but it is looking like 2022 before it ever shows up.

You could probably consider a Champ style build as well. There are versions that will let you put in a variety of power tubes (6L6, EL84 etc). Alternatively the new Harmony and cheaper Supro amps look pretty good. The VHT Special 6 also has a following. With a decent MIAB or pre amp pedal like the Broadcast, you could probably get a fair variety of sounds.

A few years ago I bought a Blackheart little giant, 5W tube amp, for about $350 new. I don’t think they make those anymore, but what I’m trying to say is that there are cheap but decent low wattage tube amp you may want to consider. I used that one for several years. It wasn’t the best sounding amp ever, but it worked very well for my needs.

Back