Angry Andy v1 Gain Mod

yazooligan

I want to make a few changes to the Angry Andy schematic, but until my breadboard parts arrive I’m looking at the schematic and trying to figure out how and where to apply my ideas.

- I want to have a footswitchable “lower gain” setting. I’m thinking I’d like to make this the default setting so when you click the switch it goes to the high gain mode.

- I’d like to add a second gain pot for said higher gain setting while retaining volume, a la the RC Booster v2.

- I’d like to have a second LED light up when the high gain mode is engaged.

Thanks so much, folks!

If anyone is willing to share their knowledge, I’d love to learn how to spot the point in a circuit to apply this mod on other pedals too.

You could do it the same way same way the Suhr Riot Reloaded (Disarray Distortion) added more gain. The Angry Andy and the Suhr Riot are, basically, Crunch Boxes. Just lower the R7 resistor to raise the gain. The Riot changed the 10K resistor to 6k81. If you want lower gain, just raise the value of R7. Do a search on inverting opamps to understand how this works.

You could do it the same way same way the Suhr Riot Reloaded (Disarray Distortion) added more gain. The Angry Andy and the Suhr Riot are, basically, Crunch Boxes. Just lower the R7 resistor to raise the gain. The Riot changed the 10K resistor to 6k81. If you want lower gain, just raise the value of R7. Do a search on inverting opamps to understand how this works.
I’m aware they’re crunch box derivatives, and I get that I ncreasing R7 will get me the low gain mode I’m looking for, but what I want to do is add another gain stage after that with an additional B100k pot for it and make that whole gain stage footswitchable.

Does that make sense?

Are you going to design your own pcb? Or are you going to try and hack it onto the Angry Andy pcb? I have an idea that would probably work and not need another gain stage. I'll try and draw it up when I get some time (tonight or tomorrow).

Are you going to design your own pcb? Or are you going to try and hack it onto the Angry Andy pcb? I have an idea that would probably work and not need another gain stage. I'll try and draw it up when I get some time (tonight or tomorrow).
My own PCB.

Back