Aquaboy-Boss DM-2

Guardians of the analog

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
1000010902.jpg
In this week's installment of the Boss blasts from the past, we stroll down memory lane to revisit the DM-2. If there were a Mount Rushmore of analog delay pedals, you can pretty much guarantee that the DM-2 would have it's mug on it. I've built a couple of these and sold them because I either wanted to build something else and got a good price for it, or I was disillusioned that there was something better I should build. So here I am building my last stock DM-2 and keeping this one.

The DM-2 is darker than the EHX DMM, but that's not a bad thing. The DMM is great for certain types of delay with it's brighter and cleaner repeats, but the DM-2 has this unique ability to not compete with the original signal like brighter delays. The DM-2 has a way of sitting just below the note and being darker melds with driven tones in a way that is very warm and unintrusive. This is a great delay for slapback to medium length delays. For lead lines it adds a wonderful thickness to fill out solos and add spatial dimension. And no pedal does the runaway spaceship oscillating like the DM-2. Nobody.

This build was a byproduct of some wonderful help from the pedal building community. What started out as a feeler for some mn3101s ended up with this board that was partially populated. I removed the handful of components and started fresh. It's an uncomplicated build with really minimal calibration. Simply set the clock frequency and bias the BBD for no clipping.

I went with a Viola pink tayda enclosure with UV printing. For artwork I used Triton of the inhumans. I reused my graphic from the low tide I sold long ago. I really like that image and felt it was really fitting here. All in all a quick easy build that would be a great intro and confidence booster for someone looking to dip a toe in BBD delays. Now to catch a ride on this spaceship off this dumpster fire of a planet😤
3xN5kC0.jpg

CT1U5Ew.jpg

I3RNdGx.jpeg

Last edited:
Could not agree more with your summary of the DM-2. This and the DMM are my two favorite guitar pedals ever. The DM-2 is the best "never in the way delay."

Your build looks amazing as usual. I should have bought this board but instead went Deluxe, because you know... "Deluxe". I've been sitting on the half finished board for months.

Could not agree more with your summary of the DM-2. This and the DMM are my two favorite guitar pedals ever. The DM-2 is the best "never in the way delay."

Your build looks amazing as usual. I should have bought this board but instead went Deluxe, because you know... "Deluxe". I've been sitting on the half finished board for months.
Don't let me start and finish my deluxe before you do. There I go spoiling a future build report 🤡😂🤦🤷

I really wish the 125B version of this was still available. Your build is inspiring as usual!
I've come to really hate "floating" boards like the new AquaBaby. Although I did finally manage to secure it all with crap ton of hot glue heh.

I really wish the 125B version of this was still available. Your build is inspiring as usual!
I've come to really hate "floating" boards like the new AquaBaby. Although I did finally manage to secure it all with crap ton of hot glue heh.
I don't think this would have fit in a 1590b but I prefer board mounted pots in any size enclosure. But at least yours is in your favorite sized box!🙏🙌

Back