DEMO Basstaur (AKA Kliché Mini with Chuckified bass mods) + DEMOS!

This post contains an audio or video demo

DAJE

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
It's been a while since I built a pedal, now that things are happening again I've had some good stuff (gigs with both bands I'm in) and bad stuff (every other part of my life) taking up my time... but here it is: first build of 2023.

It's late here now and I've only had about 10 minutes playing it through an amp but my initial reaction is that I am very happy with it. I will record a demo within the next few days, and I'll add that here when I do. Bass and Baritone demos is the plan.

I used Soviet D9Es, and these ones measure closer to .45v than .35v like they're supposed to. I used the highest vf readings from my bag of D9Es just to hear how they sound, and these sound good to me. They're socketed for the moment and I'll just solder them into the sockets when I'm sure they're staying in the pedal. I have some D9Ks as well, some of which read closer to the "magical" .35v, but most are closer to .4v

I also used a 7660SCPAZ for the charge pump because they're slightly cheaper than 1044s and also higher spec.

Gutshot captions:
1. Overview.
2. Footswitch board, note unsoldered middle prongs.
3. High rise diodes. Yes I will trim the legs when I'm sure they'll stay.
4. I'm quite proud of how I made that fat cap fit in there. Just dog-legged the legs.
5. Quick connect because suck it h8rs.

Attachments

• BG1.jpg
    BG1.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 33
  • BG2.jpg
    BG2.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 36
  • BG3.jpg
    BG3.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 33
  • BG4.jpg
    BG4.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 35
  • BG5.jpg
    BG5.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 35
And here are the glamour shots, showing my usual cheap sticker from AliExpress decoration which is of course a bit wonky but I'm just going to accept that perfection is unattainable and that good enough will do.

Attachments

• BH1.jpg
    BH1.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 13
  • BH2.jpg
    BH2.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 12
  • BH3.jpg
    BH3.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 12
  • BH4.jpg
    BH4.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Hi where I could find out about bass mods?

I just followed all of Chuck's suggestions, and it turned out well. I've done that before, and I find that Mr CDB gives very worthwhile advice and insight. He has a whole sub-forum, Chucks Boneyard, which contains a wealth of interesting information, though some of it is far beyond my ability to process.

I just followed all of Chuck's suggestions, and it turned out well. I've done that before, and I find that Mr CDB gives very worthwhile advice and insight. He has a whole sub-forum, Chucks Boneyard, which contains a wealth of interesting information, though some of it is far beyond my ability to process.

Yep, read the article. It'll set you on the path of bass dirt righteousness.

Yep, read the article. It'll set you on the path of bass dirt righteousness.

I used his recommendations and it turned out amazing. I need to do a build report and demo to show it off.

EDA9B1A8-D966-4A00-BEBB-D785DFD1FD8B.jpeg

02749F4F-2F32-47EB-89F6-A410E51CD33C.jpeg

Do you have other classic bass overdrives ? How do they compare with the Bass Klon ? Is the Tone control useful through the whole rotation ?

Do you have other classic bass overdrives ? How do they compare with the Bass Klon ? Is the Tone control useful through the whole rotation ?
I have Aion's version of the Darkglass B3K, and it doesn't do much for me. This is better. I've tried various other drives with bass and this one feels better to me. It's the first drive that I really think will work for me on bass.

But it's all opinion. I don't think I've ever used a pedal tone knob at either extreme, I just point it at the middle and tweak it a bit to taste. I wouldn't say the extreme settings are unusable, but they're not something I personally would be likely to use.

My favorite bass OD so far is the Internet project called "Bass Amuser".

I think it has been designed collectively on a german electronic forum, 10 years ago. It's good with guitars too...

Did you try it ?

My favorite bass OD so far is the Internet project called "Bass Amuser".

I think it has been designed collectively on a german electronic forum, 10 years ago. It's good with guitars too...

Did you try it ?
No, never heard of it before. Looks interesting.

Back