Beginner's troubleshooting guide

Mentaltossflycoon

While I'm not a beginner in this game, I know I have many large gaps in my troubleshooting knowledge. Is there a good one stop place to get broader understanding of the things that can go wrong and why, tips and tricks? I figure if there isn't, maybe it's something useful to create to have at the top of the troubleshooting page. I've always just dug around in other troubleshooting threads as best i can before starting my own/ growing my box-o-shame.

Honest take, I'm a know nothing and I mostly get by on luck and testing every possible component on a tc1 before populating due to color blindness.

RG KEEN: "Like so many things in life, being able to debug circuits is a journey, not a destination. I hacked on simple circuits in my teens, got two degrees in EE, then spend a few decades designing and getting designs released into manufacturing. I still pick up new debugging hints and tricks from skilled repairmen. Being able to debug anything, any time, is a lifelong ambition.

At the bottom of debugging is the necessity to understand what the circuit should be doing, perhaps on a part-by-part basis. Until you can do that, you don't know if what you see from the instruments matches the ideal operation well enough to be working. So debugging can really only proceed to the limits of your understanding of what the circuit does, not only overall, but part by part.

Some things are always necessary: Ohm's law is the biggie. Knowing that if the power supply isn't providing the right voltages and currents nothing else will work right is another. Beyond that, knowing what the intended DC conditions are on the active devices or better yet being able to deduce them from the schematic (or, another step up, tracing the circuit) is a huge step. If you don't know Ohm's law backwards, forwards and in several of the side dimensions, you can't progress to understanding what's happening in the circuit. Not understanding the power supply conditions will keep you from seeing if the circuit operation is right. And then there's the never-ending learning about what this new active device is supposed to do so you can see if the one in front of you is doing it.

It's a long journey.

I hope.
:D
"
QUOTE FROM HERE:

FSB
Debugging 101
and a whole sub-section just for PCBGM! 😹
I bet if you read through this subforum you'll be an expert debugger in no time!😸

Coda's guide is pretty good:

Midwayfair aka Jon Patton often has some good advice, but I can't find the specific post I'm looking for that I previously stumbled across:
He does highly recommend MB's template for asking for tech help on the forums.

AUDIOPROBE 101

Check out
GEOFEX
AMZ
BEAVIS
SMALL BEAR

Just found this:

This is worth mentioning, maybe, though not directly related to troubleshooting builds:
1) Turn up the amplifier and guitar knob volume first
2) Try your amplifier on its own without pedals
3) Isolate the problematic guitar pedal
4) Check the patch and power cables
5) Ensure you’ve connected to the proper input/outputs

Goes on a bit, which can be good or bad so ... maybe just get the flowchart here:

Back