Bellum MkII - does this sound about right?

HamishR

I haven't been able to find a demo of a Fuzz War II or Bellum MkII. I built one though and I'm not sure if it's sounding as it should, but maybe it's supposed to sound like this??

I assumed it wouldn't be super fuzzy because it only uses a pair of diodes on one gain stage, and mostly it's not. The only place I veered away from stock was by using BAT41s instead of the Ge diodes. The sound is tight, well defined and a bit hard on the ears. Underneath the main sound is a kind of fuzz which seems unrelated to the core tone; it's quieter and a bit random. So it kinda sounds like I did something wrong but I don't know if that's intentional or not!

Has anyone else built one of these?

I built one on vero and it's the worst Big Muff I heard that isn't the JPTR FX Warlow.

It's probably best played on a dirty amp, but otherwise I think version 1 is the superior one.

I built one for a friend of mine (bass player). Incidentally the Ge Diodes disintegrated in my hands when bending the leads, so I put BAT41s in it, too :)

It has this sound signature where there seem to be two different sources of clipping, one more fuzzy and one more distortion-like in the back. I think the latter is from the diodes. So I think what you describe is normal.

I'm not a Fuzz user, it's not my thing. But my friend wrote to me after trying it out saying he thinks it "is epic". So there you have it. All I needed to hear :cool:

Attachments

• Image2729755261044561563.jpg
    Image2729755261044561563.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 15
I guess that's a pretty decent description - I do like it a lot though. Sadly mine is still without an enclosure, but I dug it out of the closet for a brief demo (clean first, just a touch of spring and room reverbs, Friedman BE100 amp model). Level is dimed so the amp probably has a big hand in the sound.

Musikding kit, I don't remember what diodes I used. Looks like they could be germanium, but I'm no expert.

Edit: I'd guess that your feelings towards doom metal might correlate with how you feel about this pedal? Or at least to me it feels great for that purpose.

Sounds about it right. And when you turn down the "Fuzz" knob you hear the diode distortion in the background. That's how I remember it.

Aha! It's not the pedal, it's me! It wants to have doom metal played through it (and why shouldn't it?). I have no strong feelings about doom metal either way - I'm sure there is some of it I would like, some I wouldn't. But it turns out that a doom metal pedal reacts badly to having blues wanker licks played through it.

Fama you make it sound a lot better than I can, although I suspect I did something wrong with mine because it doesn't sound as good as that.

Back