Best value for a single FV-1 effect?

zipfool

I'm looking for a more economical way to build a single FV-1 effect pedal. I only need one of the algorithms (dual pitch shifter). My original prototype used the Pythagoras PCB with a custom EEPROM. Total base cost for that build is around $40 before getting any of the other components.

That's a fair cost if I wanted to switch between 3 different effects, but I only need one. What cheaper options do I have?

Considering the chip, pcb, and enclosure would runaround $30 I think $40 for everything is pretty reasonable in a day we’re $40 won’t even fill your gas tank

The only difference between a single FV-1 effect and the Pythagoras would be two pulldown resistors and the toggle switch itself.

You could reuse the custom EEPROM you already have and omit / hard wire the toggle switch to the appropriate mode.... That'd knock off the cost of the custom EEPROM.

Considering the chip, pcb, and enclosure would runaround $30 I think $40 for everything is pretty reasonable in a day we’re $40 won’t even fill your gas tank
Sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post. I'm not complaining that the cost is unreasonable. That's the opposite of how I feel about PedalPCB prices and products!

I'm hoping to make a few pedals with different artwork for different touring musicians I'm friends with. What I need is simpler than what Pythagoras can do (1 effect vs 3). I wonder if it might be cheaper in the end to load my own EEPROM chips with just the one algorithm and use the Pythagoras PCBs like Robert is suggesting (simplify the top of the pedal).

Can anyone suggest a resource to learn how to load my own EEPROM with the algorithm I want?

Hey, is this thing on? I too use the Arachnid for like... 1, 2 or 3 effects. I just had a question answered where someone suggested I save the money on the EEPROM chips and just use the ones pre-programmed in the FV-1 chip. IS this right? I literally want to use the multi fx pcb for flanger, chorus and pitch shift. And those are 3 of the effects loaded into the FV-1 chip, according to this fella. Here's what he sent me below. I was trying to see about the Pythagoras pcb which uses an EEPROM chip, I think the builder chip is suggested. The Pythagorus will use the first 3 effects loaded into the builder chip. Well, then what about the Module 8 EEPROM chip. The first 3 are Phaser, flanger, chorus. Not bad for a few of my builds and for only 6 bucks. But then again, If the FV-1 comes loaded and I only want those first 3 effects, I should be able to use the pathagorus without an EEPROM?
1694431054085.png

Last edited:
Hey, is this thing on? I too use the Arachnid for lie... 1, 2 or 3 effects. I just had a question answered where someone suggested I save the money on the EEPROM chips and just use the ones pre-programmed in the FV-1 chip. IS this right? I literally want to use the multi fx pcb for flanger, chorus and pitch shift. And those are 3 of the effects loaded into the FV-1 chip, according to this fella. Here's what he sent me below. I was trying to see about the Pythagorus pcb which uses an EEPROM chip, I think the builder chip is suggested. The Pythagorus will use the first 3 effects loaded into the builder chip. Well, then what about the Module 8 EEPROM chip. The first 3 are Phaser, flanger, chorus. Not bad for a few of my builds and for only 6 bucks. But then again, If the FV-1 comes loaded and I only want those first 3 effects, I should be able to use the pathagorus without an EEPROM?
View attachment 56229
As per your other thread, you can ground pin 13 of the FV-1 to use the internal patches, but the internal patches are nothing special (I don't mind the Tremolo-reverb though). Keep in mind that the first 3 listed also have reverb, so your control over the chorus, flanger and tremolo is limited, as a portion of the patch and controls are dedicated to the reverb. For example, if you really want a flanger, you may be disappointed.

Back